ERC age problem

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Re: ERC age problem

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:15 am

PyPRP likes to generate a lot of wasteful vertex output that could be wasting resources. Cyan's tools don't do this. You could try recompiling the PRPs with libPlasma to compress the vertex output and eliminate a lot of the waste. I'm uncertain if that will completely stop the performance issues, but it may help slightly. The file size will, most definitely, go down though.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:42 am

I could try that with the next release. Which tool is it, Adam: prcc?

Mod note: could someone move this topic to the ERC Age forums?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:43 am

Decompiling and recompiling the PRC will definitely work. I don't know if any of the other tools will have the same effect.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:25 am

OK - I decompiled/recompiled the mainRoom PRP. The file is now 40% its original size (!), and after visiting the age, nothing seems to be missing.

Atrion and others: try downloading this version of the ERC Age and see if you still get the long pauses.

ERCAge_v4a.zip

Note: I tried decompiling/recompiling the Textures.PRP, but there was no change in size.

Also, for those of you experiencing problems, could you tell me what video cards you have, what the video memory size is, and the driver date? [Use dxdiag to find this out; look on the display tab.]

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Neereus » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:53 am

The pause is still there, but it is noticeably shorter, to the point of almost not being there, almost.

My Graphics Card:

Radeon x1300/x1550 Series
Approx Memory Size: 1661 MB
Driver Date: 6/3/2008

Edit, and just in case it gets mentioned, I just updated my drivers to the latest (7/21/2009) with the same results.
Neereus

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:48 am

Wow - you have a card with over 1 GB of video memory, and you're still getting the pause? My card (Radeon X1650) has only 512 MB, and I don't have any pauses.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby diafero » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:11 pm

Are you sure this is correct If I remember correctly only the very latest 5XXX cards have such huge amounts of memory... maybe you have two graphics cards working together, in which case you can't add the two memories together (each card needs everything in its local memory)? ~800MB would still be a huge lot though.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Neereus » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:27 pm

Opps lol, was tired last night and didn't think, just went with what dxdiag showed, its actually a 512 MB card with some normal ram dedicated to video. (Have 4 gigs RAM).
Neereus

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:28 pm

So maybe it isn't video that's the issue - performance may be CPU bound. What type of processor do you have, Neerus? And what is its clock speed?

[You can get this from the System tab of dxdiag; look at the text after "Processor:"]

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby ddb174 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:16 pm

It seems to be about the same for me, but it's possible it's a little better. I have a GeForce Go 6150 with 256MB onboard RAM. My CPU is a dual core AMD 1.6GHz Turion with 1GB RAM. And yes, it goes and pauses every little bit, just as the others describe. Could it be something to do with the refresh time on the wavesets or timeofday animation?
ddb174

PreviousNext

Return to ERC Age