ERC age problem

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

ERC age problem

Postby Atrion » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:05 am

I just got the ERC age and I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problem as me. When in the ERC age The avatar's movements become jerky and not smooth at all, I have had this problem in one other fan age (Eder Licinius) but all others function fine. Is it something wrong in the age files itself or something wrong on my end?
-Atrion Darnay-
Atrion

Re: ERC age problem

Postby J'Kla » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:10 am

I am experiencing some lag nothing serious but Its a big open age with lots of dispersed disparate objects.

Check out my Enobmort it has a lot of objects but there's a lot of object re use like there's only three ladders and in all those ladders there's only two rungs all others are instances. the texture on the rungs is the same texture used for the walls the writing on the walls is optimized so that one plane of writing does 25 cells. I must get round to putting a skydome in there.
J'Kla

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:34 pm

There are many things in Plasma which could cause that. For example, if the age has dynamic shadows it can be a strain on computers which are graphically not state of the art (such as laptops).

Another potential cause which is computer independent and which is not so well known is wrong use of animations. If an animated object has collision and it goes through another object with collision there will be problems. It is ok when this only happens occasionally but if this is a looping animation then sooner or later it will practically pin down your avatar on the spot.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby ddb174 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:14 pm

Some other possible causes:

Whenever the textures get to be too much to fit in the video card's memory, there will be constant swapping on and off card, resulting in choppiness.

When an animation involves a collider that is not a convex hull, it can be much harder on the engine.

When an Age has too many faces (this doesn't mean the Age is large, it could be a single small sphere with hundreds of thousands of faces), it's hard on the engine.
ddb174

Postby Corvus » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:16 pm

Atrion, do you have this problem also with earlier versions of ERCAge?

I added animations for this new release, but neither of my animated objects has collision. The carnivorous plants have a cube around them as collider.

On my pc I have no lag at all.
"To regard the imagination as metaphysics is to think of it as part of life, and to think of it as part of life is to realize the extent of artifice. We live in the mind."

-Wallace Stevens-
Corvus

Postby Neereus » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:31 pm

For me there is definitely a pause while moving. It doesn't feel like the normal sluggish feeling, it's a walk for a second, freeze completely, walk for a second, freeze completely. And it only happens while the camera is moving. Far as I know, it didn't do this before the current update.

Hope that helps.
Neereus

Postby ddb174 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:41 pm

I've got a low-end video card, and it's been doing this for me for every version, as I recall. But it seems to get a little worse with every release, and has certainly gotten worse over time, which almost seems like a Texture thing, except that ERCAge does not have anywhere near the texture amount that causes problems for me (it's quite predictable for other Ages, so I don't think it's textures.) It's also not shadows, as I have mine turned off. I also looked around a little in wireframe mode once, but I didn't notice anything. Perhaps it has something to do with the time-of-day animation? Rell-too doesn't give me any choppiness at all, though.
ddb174

Postby Atrion » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:50 pm

It only does it with the most resent version of the age, and its like other mentioned, walk for a second, then it freezes up, walk for a second, then it freezes. I can't see it be a graphics card problem for me, cause I have a rather high end computer that I play URU on.
-Atrion Darnay-
Atrion

Postby Chacal » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:47 pm

I've had this problem with certain Ages on my brand new computer. It is a problem with the video drivers that crash and are resetted. When I quit Uru, I get have several balloon tips waiting for me on the desktop, one for each time it happened.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Atrion » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:51 pm

Chacal wrote:I've had this problem with certain Ages on my brand new computer. It is a problem with the video drivers that crash and are resetted. When I quit Uru, I get have several balloon tips waiting for me on the desktop, one for each time it happened.

I don't seem to be having the same problem as you.
-Atrion Darnay-
Atrion

Next

Return to ERC Age