Dev Age 2

Dev Age 2

Postby Nek'rahm » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:10 pm

I'm working on a small Age, though I feel solid in both its concepts and its foundation in terms of functionability.

The Basics:

The Age is still unnamed (can't think of something that fits atm) but it's a rest Age. The story behind it is that the Age was one of many rest Ages that might have been used during the building of the Great Shaft. However, at some point in the Age's lifestyle, enormous amounts of tectonic activity ensued, raising a small island off the coast of the mainland. Interested, the D'ni Guilds began to investigate only to find various minerals and supplies that could be harvested to be used in many projects. And so, the Age was removed from the Great Shaft and brought to the Guilds. The Guilds of the Book Makers, Ink Makers and Stone Masons laid claim to it, and placed the book in a Guild neighborhood's Library to have access to it.

At one point, perhaps during the fall, the Age might have been used as an escape route. The "caves" underneath the 2nd island (which has now grown into a larger landmass) are eerie and some areas appear to have skeletons dotting the walls. However, this might have been a native species that was wiped out due to tectonic activity and possible magma flows to create some of the caves.

IC Discovery Theory:

An explorer was traveling down the Great Shaft (the huge 3 mile one from Myst V, not the Descent version from MOUL) and stumbled upon a spot where the path broke apart. Instead of taking the normal elevator, he continued along the "beaten up" narrow pathway that continued for quite some time. About half of his way down, the Shaft grew so dark that he could no longer see where he was going. Clinging to the wall, he accidentally fell into an eder tomahn in which the light outside it (as well as any inside) had gone out due to aging and lack of traffic. On one of the bunks/on the Derebo pedastal, he found a small linking book. The book in question linked to this Age, though only to the mainland portion that had once been a resting Age.

Puzzles:

I have various puzzles in the planning stages, some of them elaborate and some of them not. The main point being that I'm looking to create an Age that is beautiful on one side, but ravaged and changing on the other side. Almost like a world that only partially formed, and is still in the process of forming. The Caves in and of themselves will not be a "puzzle" per say, but I intend on having some degree of "mapping" necessary in order to progress through them and find some key items and places to some of the other puzzles.

I plan on incorporating these types of puzzles: Water Pressure, Color and Number, Alignment in Degrees, Shifting Pathways, Classic Lever Pulling and (last but not least) a tad bit of Platforming (hopefully).

If anyone is interested, that's good to hear. Sorry for my hiatus, and I hope that everyone will enjoy as this Age unfolds. I've been taking great care to develop a map of the region's above-ground areas, which is almost complete. I will upload it once it's done, and hopefully garner some attention to the Project.

~Nek
Nek'rahm

Return to Nek'rahm's Journal