Shell 232

Shell 232

Postby katreeny » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:47 pm

Well, I started cleaning up the mess caused by massive sub-surfing, retextured all the benches, and made another attempt to get the flipping floor tiled :lol: I'll find out how well it worked next time I boot into the Dark Si... :ahem: the Windows side of my machine.

You know you went overboard when you decimate at 0.1 and don't see any difference to the overall shape of the object.

Katreeny
Katreeny - KI 954782
katreeny

Re: Shell 232

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:48 am

Looking forward to hearing about the results, katreeny!

If this works, and if the load time substantially decreases, I'd be happy to incorporate your revised shell into the latest Ahra Pahts release. Just email your PRP file to Aloys and I. [You still have our addresses from the RAD 2 contest, right?]
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby katreeny » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Well, two steps forward, one step back.

The load time is a lot better, although still not good enough. I need to find out how to kill internal and invisible faces, I think. My benches actually still look quite decent after the decimation and re-texturing.

Floor is... alas, still not there. I'm about ready to delete the floor and try again.

Here's the benches as they look now -

KIimage0010.jpg
KIimage0010.jpg (230.79 KiB) Viewed 5763 times

Katreeny
Katreeny - KI 954782
katreeny

Postby katreeny » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:Looking forward to hearing about the results, katreeny!

If this works, and if the load time substantially decreases, I'd be happy to incorporate your revised shell into the latest Ahra Pahts release. Just email your PRP file to Aloys and I. [You still have our addresses from the RAD 2 contest, right?]

Thanks, Robert! I still have the addresses, but I'm not happy with the load times yet. It's a lot better (and the shell file size is down from 36MB to 22MB) but it's still not good enough. And those wretched tilers just will not fix my blasted floor! Honestly, the standard of the help has dropped off something awful since the Bahro were freed ;)

Katreeny
Katreeny - KI 954782
katreeny

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:07 am

The benches do look great! Just curious - how many polygons are in the columns?

I miss the good old days when you could strike fear into a Bahro just by scribbling a picture of a snake... ;-)

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby katreeny » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:28 pm

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:The benches do look great! Just curious - how many polygons are in the columns?

I miss the good old days when you could strike fear into a Bahro just by scribbling a picture of a snake... ;-)

The columns have 300 some faces in the main column, and 90 some each in the footer and two headers.

Each bench still has around 700 faces. (which is WAY better than the 7100 faces per bench I started with)

I wonder what the Bahro symbol for "tile this floor" would be? ;)

Katreeny
Katreeny - KI 954782
katreeny

Postby Lontahv » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:29 pm

Just for comparison an avatar has about 2000 verts IIRC.
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby katreeny » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:44 pm

Well, if I could figure out how to get the blasted tiles to show up, I'd hand it over to Robert and Aloys and ask for suggestions for cleaning it up some more.

But that floor stays stubbornly blank.

Katreeny
katreeny

Postby Marcello » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:28 am

I think the benches could still do with a lot less. As can the pillars. I'm not sure but the pillars in my shell (129) maybe have only about a 100. i simulated some shape stuff with textures and that worked good enough for me. Btw do make sure that any face that are not seen like the parts of the benches and pillars that hit the floor are deleted. You can easily cut out a few 100 that way.
Marcello

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:21 am

Katreeny: does your floor have more than one material?

To answer this, select the floor object and bring up the Editing panel (hit the F9 key). In the Link and Materials tab, look for the field that says "# Mat #". The first number specifies the total number of materials you have. For now, to keep things simple, just have one material. If the number is greater than 1, hit the Delete button under this field. You may need to retexture your floor.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Next

Return to Katreeny's Journal