Can I use UruDistro for clothing?

Announcements and discussion regarding Chacal's UruDistro

Moderator: Chacal

Can I use UruDistro for clothing?

Postby kaelisebonrai » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:03 am

Well, I know that UruDistro is presently not complete, but, I'm wondering, will it be possible to use UruDistro to add new clothing entries to GlobalClothing(etc), in a way that would allow it to be easily distributed (and not needed all clothing additions ever to be released together).

As far as I know, right now, If one person releases a new clothing piece, it needs to include all the old ones, or at least all the ones in said globalclothing district. so, there seems like a huge possibility for conflicts.

Would UruDistro be a solution for this?
kaelisebonrai

Re: Can I use UruDistro for clothing?

Postby I.Brattin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:33 am

Unless someone said something that I missed, it is still impossible to add clothing to URU period. I was trying several months ago to see if it was possible and everyone said no at that time. So unless things have changed since I asked I doubt it will be possible with this program unless Chacal found away.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
Jayden Halliwell (IC Explorer) - 54404
I.Brattin

Postby Atrion » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:39 am

I might be wrong, but I don;t think you can Add clothing, but I think you can change existing Clothing.
-Atrion Darnay-
Atrion

Postby J'Kla » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:15 pm

Print it as hard copy onto a waterproof fabric and you may be able to tailor it into something tasteful for beach wear.

Sorry about that I just read the thread title as was. :oops:
J'Kla

Postby Zrax » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:48 pm

Clothing PRPs have been fully supported in PRC from libPlasma for a very long time now... Since UruDistro uses libPlasma tools, you should be able to use it for adding clothing. The only catch though is that PyPRP doesn't do any clothing stuff, so you may have to export your SharedMeshes and MorphDataSets by hand in PRC, if you're not using an existing mesh...
Zrax

Postby kaelisebonrai » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:48 am

Thanks Zrax. I figured it was possible, just wondering if it'll be a nice way of doing it and distributing. as in, running UruDistro would say, add in new entries to globalclothing (while still allowing $randomOtherWriter to do the same, and both being able to coexist in the same uru install).

@Atrion and I. Brattin: As Zrax says, its been possible to create clothing for a while, but, to my knowledge, the real trouble is distribution, without overwriting everyone else's changes. I've done a few clothing changes in the past, and the offline KI also adds in a bunch of new ones. While (I'm not certain on this) it may currently use drizzle to do so, as far as I know, the earlier releases did not, they actually distributed the clothing, etc.
kaelisebonrai

Postby diafero » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:51 am

kaelisebonrai wrote:While (I'm not certain on this) it may currently use drizzle to do so, as far as I know, the earlier releases did not, they actually distributed the clothing, etc.
The Offline KI still distributes the files itself. Though of course it works best (TM) with Drizzle, the basic functionality (i.e. all the KI commands) can still be used without Drizzle. Check the "offlineki--3.0.7z" file in your "agearchives" folder to see what is still distributed, and what not (we managed to cut it down quite a bit, not only reducing download size and time but also reducing the am9ount of copyrighted material we distribute).
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Chacal » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:29 pm

I'm not sure what's involved in adding clothing.
What uruDistro does is:
-add, modify or remove objects in prps;
-add, modify or remove lines in sdl, age, sum and ini files;
-add or remove files in the dat folder.

This can all be done by hand using GUI tools or libPlasma tools, but uruDistro automates it.
Thus, if you make a change and a release of the offline KI overwrites it, then you can apply the change again with a few clicks.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby D'Lanor » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:44 pm

Has anyone really succeeded in making new clothing? I mean entirely new clothing meshes which conform to the avatar.

Usually when people say "new clothing" they just mean replacing the textures on existing clothing items. This too can be done without losing the original clothing item provided that you make a working copy of it under a different name. However, this copy still refers to the original clothing mesh.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby kaelisebonrai » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:15 pm

I'm referring to new textures on existing content.

And, seems like from Chacal's post, it does indeed look like UruDistro would be the best way to apply it/distribute new clothing.
kaelisebonrai

Next

Return to UruDistro