Python files package and Mac Os

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Re: Python files package and Mac Os

Postby Gbadji » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:42 pm

to create the .pak file, I use PlasmaShop on Mac Os with CrossOver.

I create Python PAK every time and add the Compiled Python Files (selecting the 4 .pyc files in the same time).

Contents of the Output window after adding of the .pyc files:
Code: Select all
Compiling all uncompiled files...

Packaging files...
Encrypting PAK file...

Done!  Be sure to check the output for errors...

When I open the .pak file in textEdit I have whatdoyousee following by unreadable text (whatdoyousee word is the only readable information)

..... wait a minute ..... I'm trying to import .pyc one after one .... that's doesn't work:

I have a popup "Please wait..." containing:
Code: Select all
Currently extracting:
c

That's sound like PlasmaShop doesn't work very well in my environment?
The French's Mystpedia age Project - http://www.mystpedia.net
To find me in the Cavern: Gbadji KI #6911493 or Alatan KI#7869109
Gbadji

Postby D'Lanor » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:22 pm

Ok, so the file header is fine. Yes, I guess it could be a Mac OS compatibility problem. Did you try UruPython with Crossover?
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Gbadji » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:08 am

No D'Lanor, I didn't try it (I don't know what to do with URUPython :) ). But this morning I can hear you saying:

"Gbadji, Gbadji, can you understand what we tell you? URU need Python 2.2 ... and not only for .pyc files."

Maybe I have lost all my reflexes after ten years without writting one code line.
Now I have a big problem, how to explain to others how to write good code if I make that kind of mistakes (I'm paid for that today :( ).

----------------- Edit

I tried to extract files from my .pak file on Windows with PlasmaShop and it didn't work. It extracted a file named 'c' instead of the files and the content of 'c' didn't look good.
Gbadji

Postby Gbadji » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:56 am

Sorry for the double post.

Is PlasmaShop working in France? I know it's a stupid question but after one month trying to use it, I think every thing is possible. :D

I made an other test:
- I install python 2.2.3 in my USB key with PlasmaShop and my Myrthoxxx.py files
- I used a PC with Windows XP to build the Myrtho.pak file
- I sent it to my friend for test
- the result was the same: Myrtho.py and MyrthoBookGUI.py were not found.

Next step : I will send the new Myrtho.pak I just built with UruPython (on Windows of course, I put away the idea to use that kind of tools on Mac while I can't use them on Windows).
But why the result will be different this time?

Mais non je ne désespère pas, ce n'est pas dans ma nature, mais j'ai plein d'autres questions à poser et tant que je n'arrive pas a avoir un fichier python appelable, ça ne sert à rien que je code les différentes énigmes de notre âge.

While you are here, to build an SDL file what tool can I use except URUPython? Just in case it doesn't work with me.

See you soon with good news I hope.
Gbadji

Postby D'Lanor » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:27 pm

Gbadji wrote:While you are here, to build an SDL file what tool can I use except URUPython? Just in case it doesn't work with me.

UruPython does not make SDL files. I use UruFun for that.
D'Lanor

Postby Gbadji » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:21 am

Thanks D'Lanor, I'm going to see how to use it and if I can use it (see below ;)).

To continue my story with .pak files (maybe it can help someone else) I have to say I think we have found why my .pak didn't worked: something was missing.
Yesterday, with a new member "of the development section" of our team we tried the .pak I built with URUPython. Yes, that didn't worked.
We made an other test: HE built the .pak and .... It worked. The difference: he has POTS installed and I haven't (I can't find it, no stock).

When I said the solution was simple: POTS is needed to play AND to build the .pak. I imagine to create SDL files too.

Thanks for your help, now I can start to post the interesting questions.
Gbadji

Postby D'Lanor » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:45 am

Gbadji wrote:When I said the solution was simple: POTS is needed to play AND to build the .pak. I imagine to create SDL files too.

I think you are referring to UruPython 3 here. That program does need the cypython22.dll and _sre.pyd from the Uru (TPOTS or ABM) installation. I assumed you had copied those over as per the UruPython installation instructions.

Plasmashop should not need those files though. But it may have other issues running on a Mac.
D'Lanor

Postby Gbadji » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:21 am

Yes D'Lanor, you assumed correctly. We succeed using URUPython after we got the two files so I thought I missed something with PlasmaShop.

I tried to make a .pak with PlasmaShop on Windows and it didn't worked. I can understand some incompatibilities between Mac and Windows, but why the one I made on Windows didn't worked ?
If I have a chance to build the .pak myself I would like to take it :D.

I used PlasmaShop indicated on the wiki page Free and useful tools to help in Age writing, is it the good version?
I used Python version 2.2.3 instead of the version 2.2. That could make a difference?
I used Windows XP.
I ... see nothing more :).

See you soon.
Gbadji

Previous

Return to Scripting