Font tool request

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Re: Font tool request

Postby boblishman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:40 am

I think you misunderstood him....he doesn't want to WRITE a tutorial, but he doesn't mind us using it for a tutorial.

I'm happy to write it ... but... he's in the process of version 3 ...which will have some new features...so it's probably best to wait until that's released...
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:23 pm

Since your instructions for creating a font don't intersect with D'Lanor's instructions for the journal, I don't see the conflict. My opinion is that you're in the clear.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby D'Lanor » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:39 am

andylegate wrote:Oh, but that brings up a slight point of contention that D'Lanor has. We need a "Journal" tutorial in the Wiki first I would think. But he doesn't want his Template added to the Wiki due to a disagreement he has about the Fork.

Well, time has healed those wounds. I have even added a fix to the GoW SVN so I it would be rather inconsistent to keep this up now.

I still wish the fork had not happened. And when it happened I wish it had been handled differently. But such is life. We learn and move on.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby andylegate » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:43 pm

As Boblishman pointed out, we really ought to wait until you're done with your latest version of the Template.

Then I'll be willing to write up a tutorial on the Font Maker, no problems. I'd also be willing to do the tutorial on using your Template if neither you, nor Boblishman have the time. I just finished my RAD Age, and will be taking a break for about a week in Age Building.
But that will leave time for me to do the tutorials too.

As long as it does not upset you or cause you grief D'Lanor. I respect other peoples views and feelings, and get horrified if I've found I've stepped on someone's toes! :shock:

I really do respect your feelings about the Fork, and part of me agrees with you on the part that it should have been handled differently.
But at the same time, I'm totally ignorant of the history between the people involved. I was off in my own little world while it was going on during that time, and so feel I have no right to judge anything like that, other than giving general observations on how people are acting NOW.
In anycase, I just wanted to make sure I didn't have you come hunting me down is all! :D
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Chacal » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:11 pm

There is no spoon, Neo... but there was a fork!
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Justintime9 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:04 pm

What ever happened to adding this to the wiki?
Justintime9

Postby Justintime9 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:24 am

Today I decided to make my own font, so I followed Andy's instructions, as well as the questions afterwords (in case he got something wrong in the tutorial.) After hours of getting all the letters in a .bmp file, and placing them in their correct spots bettween green lines etc, I finally came up with this:

it looked pretty good for a first time (and I originally set it as size 18). However, after all that work, I was a bit worried that it wouldn't turn out right, so with my awesome looking font open in plasmashop, I saved it as Justin-18.p2f. Then I opened plasmashop again (so now two plasmashops are running), and then opened my newly saved font file. This is what appeared:

I dare not close my original window for my font, for fear the ugly version is the one that's saved, therefore all my work would be a waste. Does anyone know what might've caused this?
Justintime9

Postby boblishman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:10 pm

what do you mean by this:

"... (and I originally set it as size 18). " ... ?

IIRC you have to make each font size seperately ...
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Postby Justintime9 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:40 pm

Well, I saved it as size 18 originally (the .bmp file was the same size as the "Sam-18.bmp" file, but as you can see, the font turned weird after I saved and re-opened it. I then wondered if it would fix it if I changed the font size to 20, so I typed 20 as the size, and re-named it "Justin-20.p2f". This did nothing. I had kept the original "Justin-18.p2f", so the change wasn't permanent.
Justintime9

Postby OHB » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:37 pm

This should make the process of making fonts go a lot quicker. (except for those scanning in handwriting)

Over the past few days I've become pretty knowledgeable about P2F files. I'll throw that out so if people have questions I'm happy to answer them.
OHB

Previous

Return to Scripting