A way to have ladder regions *not* be automatic?

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

A way to have ladder regions *not* be automatic?

Postby Aloys » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:35 am

I hate the way the ladders work. Many times I need to walk near one but I don't want to climb it, but if I walk just one inch too close, bam! You have to wait until the avar is done with his climbing animation, then you have to get down, and even when you are down you need to go away of the ladder and make sure you don't accidentally climb it up again. These things are just utterly agravating.. And even if you make the 'enter/exit'' regions very small there's always a risk of entering them accidentally.

So. Would there be a way to turn those automatic regions into click regions? Ie; you need to actually click on the ladder to activate it.
Aloys

Re: A way to have ladder regions *not* be automatic?

Postby Chacal » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:09 am

/nods vigorous approval
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Goofy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:17 am

just out of curosity is there a way to check which way the avatars facing? Say if the avatar is not facing the ladder nothing happens, but if the avatar is close enough and is facing the right direction then it climbs the ladder. Make it so that if those two conditions aren't met then you won't climb the ladder.
We keep moving forward,
openning up new doors and doing new things,
Because we're curious... and curiosity keeps
leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Goofy

Postby D'Lanor » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:28 am

Goofy wrote:just out of curosity is there a way to check which way the avatars facing? Say if the avatar is not facing the ladder nothing happens, but if the avatar is close enough and is facing the right direction then it climbs the ladder. Make it so that if those two conditions aren't met then you won't climb the ladder.

Plasma can do that. But I think the facing condition is currently somewhat broken.

PyPRP sets the facing condition by default on clickable objects. Only... it does not seem to work.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Trylon » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:47 pm

Probaby because it also sets setisfied to true.. (Which is copied from most of cyan's ages)
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby D'Lanor » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:49 pm

Ok, so what you are saying is that we should override that with alcscript by setting satisfied to false?
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Trylon » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:25 am

yeah, probably.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:42 am

I just tried that - setting satisfied to false for the facing conditional object in alc_QuickScripts.py fin QuickScript_SimpleClickable. And it still does not require you to face the object.

Any other ideas on how to get it to work?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Nadnerb » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:02 pm

Odd, the facing conditional for ladders works for me. Of course, I use the auto ladders, and don't manually create climbing regions.

Anyway, it should be possible to make clickable ladders, but you'll have to alcscript the whole thing yourself. ;)
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:19 pm

Nadnerb wrote:Odd, the facing conditional for ladders works for me. Of course, I use the auto ladders, and don't manually create climbing regions.

Anyway, it should be possible to make clickable ladders, but you'll have to alcscript the whole thing yourself. ;)

Sorry for the confusion, Nabderb: I was testing it on the clickables, such as the linking books in Prin Pahts. Yes, the ladders facing conditionals do work.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Next

Return to Scripting