Mix and match of AlcScript

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Mix and match of AlcScript

Postby Grogyan » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:30 pm

Just been reading Nadnerbs code for switching on and off stuff, and it was bothering me some.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1137&start=20

Can we mix up the scripts, or are we stuck with the linear, "this script only for doing this"?

Cause at times, when I get down to conditional objects, lights, textures, there is thoughts that I i'd like to switch sound on/off, turn light on/off then wait some period of time and then a oneshotmod for example.
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Re: Mix and match of AlcScript

Postby D'Lanor » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:04 pm

Considering that we can combine Alcscript with Python script anything is possible. The oneshotmod for example is by default activated in the Python script. That means you can throw in a timer for it.

In my age Prad a whole lot of stuff is happening at the push of a single button.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Nadnerb » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:40 am

The reason we have alcscript at all is so that it can be mixed and matched. Otherwise, it would be easier to just give out fixed functionality responders. The idea is that you can attach any number of actions (sound messages, footstep messages, python scripts, sdl changes, animations, etc) to any detector/logic trigger (objectinvolume, clicking, facing, enter, exit, multistate) For instance, I have an alcscript that detects when the avatar enters a region, calls a python script, which warps the avatar to another named point, and forces a camera cut. (this was made in response to andy's questions about gahreesen style doors, but I never actually published this) Edit: here it is.

So yeah, mix and match as much as you like, that's what it's there for. (just don't expect it to work the first time. ;))
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:17 am

Thanks Nadnerb. That is what we need, examples. I am sure Alcscript is very versatile but unfortunately most of its features are still undocumented. Even though it has been out for... what is it? Two months maybe?

I am pretty fluid in Python but Alcscript remains a mystery to me. And I don't have time to reverse engineer it if I need to know something.

We really need an alcscript showcase section in these forums. If not a fully documented wiki.
D'Lanor

Postby Paradox » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:45 am

I have a file that lists every possible option and flag that can be set on an object via AlcScript (and some that only exist in my WC and will be committed soon). Note that some flags are specific to certain classes (you can't set circle flags on a fixed camera). Also, some options are mutually exclusive.

Show Spoiler
Last edited by Paradox on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forgot Python scripts...
Paradox

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:03 am

Thanks, but I am missing the quickscript options in your list. For example the method to make conditional objects.
D'Lanor

Postby Paradox » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:19 am

Quickscripts are fairly strightforward, they should definitely have their own page on the wiki.

Essentially a quickscript just takes a condensed bit of code and expands it into full AlcScript. In my mind, I don't see any reason not to type the full AlcScript anyways so that one has more control over the params and the objects.

Quickscripts are:
Footstep Show Spoiler

Sound Region Show Spoiler

Animation Region Show Spoiler

SDL Visibility Show Spoiler

Clickable Show Spoiler
Paradox

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:40 am

Sorry to keep nagging but now we still don't know what it all means. I think I can guess the purpose of a few flags, but what we really need is "alcscript for dummies".
D'Lanor

Postby Paradox » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:43 am

What makes you think that we understand that flags? :shock:
Paradox

Postby Grogyan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:23 pm

For me its like well my Age/shell is the way I want it, but Plasma can't organise itself with lots of overlapping regions, and so some control like while climbiing switch camera and play footstep sound.

In my case for shell 119 that is what is happening, the regions are there, the region for footstep dirt has been extended to overlap the floor of the pyramid as well, but you can't hear the sound there. Biggest problem is the ladder, there are 4 overlapping regions, but as soon as the avatar passes through the end of one it changes the sound of rope to dirt, at the top it switches to metal even though you are still on the ladder, so I was thinking AlcScript could fix this
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Return to Scripting