*.sav files messing up everything?

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

*.sav files messing up everything?

Postby Aloys » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:41 am

Lately I've found that the save files tend to mess up stuff that shouldn't belong to them. Latest issue: after pulling my hair out for a couple solid hours over some texture animation problem, it turns out the solution was to delete the .sav file for this Age and that's it! Are animations settings saved in there?? :shock: Why??
I remember someone had a similar problem not too long ago that was solved the same way... can't remember what it was. (maybe it was a texture animation issue too, thinking of it..)
Do we know exactly what is saved in those files, why, and more important do we have a way to avoid saving anything in there?
Aloys

Re: *.sav files messing up everything?

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:25 pm

Anything based on plSynchedObject has its state saved in them.

Add the class type to the plSynchedObject's SDL Exclude List....
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Nadnerb » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:39 pm

The current sound emitters will have their state saved like this as well, which is probably where you saw this issue before.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Aloys » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:29 pm

I guess there's no easy & lazy method; to exclude all of the Age from the sav file or something similar? I have no idea how to add anything in the SDL files.
Aloys

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:53 am

The SDL files contain only a fraction of all that is saved into the age state. I don't think there is anything an age builder can do. I am sure that was a programmers note from Hoikas.

This would not be a big problem if we could properly delete explorer ages (set them volatile) like we do with personal ages when we push back books in the shelf. An idea for a new ULM feature perhaps?

You cannot expect from users that they manually delete sav files from their vaults each time we update our ages. And then I do not even want to think about the vault in the online version.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:15 pm

D'Lanor wrote:The SDL files contain only a fraction of all that is saved into the age state. I don't think there is anything an age builder can do. I am sure that was a programmers note from Hoikas.

That was a note to the current PyPRP devs mostly. I think Paradox or someone has implemented what I described in AlcScript since then, so it might be worth a shot to check the SVN (recommended only if you feel like picking through the changed code). I dunno though.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Return to Scripting