Idea popped into my head ;)

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Idea popped into my head ;)

Postby Goofy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:17 pm

yea I know that can be dangerous :roll: , but while I was posting about an export error I got on a simple test age. I had a thought about sequence numbers.

Would it be possible to have a popup asking for a valid or unused sequence number(or your sequence number) when adding a book to an age for the first time. I know its not all that hard to just change it, but it would make it a tad simpler for the beginners.

either way it's just a idea ;)
We keep moving forward,
openning up new doors and doing new things,
Because we're curious... and curiosity keeps
leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Goofy

Re: Idea popped into my head ;)

Postby boblishman » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:32 pm

dont get me started... this was discussed at length here ...and still nothing has been sorted out, despite it being discussed at a "meeting" ...
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Postby Grogyan » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:37 pm

I had PM'd in a request long before that to Trylon, to implement a feature in ULM that warns the user of conflicting Ages due to sequence prefix, since then I know that its now an intended feature for ULM 2.0, along with a host of other features.
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby boblishman » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:44 pm

yes... I heard that was true... but both the wiki and all the GoW tutorials still tell people to get their sequence prefixes from Alcugs ... not the ULM website (which uses numbers 10,000+ which was "agreed" was the way to go :roll:
boblishman

Postby Grogyan » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:27 pm

For myself the problems weren't other peoples Ages, but my own Ages that were conflicting with Ages that I was running tests with
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby D'Lanor » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:59 am

boblishman wrote:yes... I heard that was true... but both the wiki and all the GoW tutorials still tell people to get their sequence prefixes from Alcugs ... not the ULM website (which uses numbers 10,000+ which was "agreed" was the way to go :roll:

Perhaps that is because there is no link to that information on the main ULM website and I am not even sure if this is accessible to non registered members.

I am a member there but I do not have my login here at work. And good luck finding that page then. :roll:
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby boblishman » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:21 am

yes, you have to login ... then go to My Profile ...

use the "Request more"

and yes, this SHOULD be in the Wiki ... (IIRC there was a "meeting" where this was discussed by the Council Memeber, but I don't think any "action" was taken to correct the wiki)

As you can see from the image, this has been operational since October of last year ... :roll:
boblishman

Postby D'Lanor » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:50 am

The problem with this idea is that anyone who is just beginning to build an age will not have an ULM account. And they will not see the need to create an ULM account until they are getting ready to publish their ages.

And even then you can bypass the ULM registration since there are currently multiple ULM libraries. Yeah right, speaking of bad ideas... :roll:

So my point is: This information must be public!
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby boblishman » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:17 am

I totally agree... there was a lengthy discussions about this ... and I believe that Trylon may be implimenting something into v2 of the ULM (but that project is still in the development stage) ...

The information about creating an account at the ULM site (and obtaining some Sequence Prefixes) should be in the Wiki as an initial part of the Age Creation process ... it's a vital as getting the tools to create them ... but there seems some "retiscence" in making this the "default" process of getting Sequence prefixes.

There was concern about the numbers themselves, and about who "owned" them, although that seemed to be resolved (Alcugs has the first 9,999) and the ULM site starts from 10,000+ (which i suggested they limited to 10,999 to make it "fair") ... so that "issue" no longer exists ...

I just don't understand why this "new" process is not being promoted by the GoW ... especially if you look at the number of posts (recently) that involve people having problems with age creation and having "bad" sequence prefixes ... :roll:

If the Gow plugin has "forked" from Alcugs, then why are we asking people to register their Ages over there (when we have our own system up and working ? ? ?)

...it just baffles me ... :cry:
boblishman

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:37 am

Sorry to interrupt the ULM discussion, but I need to double-check something first:

Goofy wrote:Would it be possible to have a popup asking for a valid or unused sequence number(or your sequence number) when adding a book to an age for the first time.

Goofy: Are you talking about when you're in Blender selecting Scripts->Add->PyPRP->Create A New Book? Or are you talking about in ULM adding a book to the blank pages on the right?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Next

Return to Scripting