Lost with Python

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Re: Lost with Python

Postby D'Lanor » Wed May 28, 2008 4:08 pm

Yes, there is something I notice. Those images are probably far too large for linking panels. So the books may be refusing to display images that do not fit.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby boblishman » Wed May 28, 2008 4:10 pm

your images may be too big .... linking panel images (indeed any Book images) should have maximum width of 512 pixels (including the transparent surround) and usually are 256 pixels high ... like this ...

campbravopanel.png
campbravopanel.png (93.7 KiB) Viewed 5176 times

... they will be resized by Uru, so to keep the aspect ratio you need to "stretch" the image ...

right click and "save" this picture ... then open it in your graphics program and paste your own image over the panel section (resizing, stretching or cropping if needed) ... and then save it as a (transparent) .png file with your filename ... (rinse & repeat with your other panel image)
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Postby Valdez » Wed May 28, 2008 6:49 pm

Well now it works and I can link but the image doesn't show up at all! :( What could have happened? I have the picture reference in the Python the same as the filename and I even checked it with PRPExplorer and they were the same. What usually causes problems like this?
Fighting, Horrible disposition to others based on beliefs... What's the point anymore? Was there ever a point? Dead is what it is and always will be until peace is achieved through everyone.
Valdez

Postby D'Lanor » Thu May 29, 2008 2:52 am

Since your extensions are not mangled you should probably use them. I noticed one upper case extension and one lower case. Make sure you get that right.

And does you linking image have a transparent area?
D'Lanor

Postby boblishman » Thu May 29, 2008 3:22 am

if you are using the exact same filename as before ... make sure you delete those files from the /dat/YOURAGENAME_texcache folder ... (and that you click the "reload" button for you image(s) in Blender before you export ... (it's probably the texture cache though ...)
boblishman

Postby Valdez » Thu May 29, 2008 11:54 am

First off, yes I do have a trasparency layer on my linking panel, but only AROUND it. I have been deleting the TexCache file from the folder before I export. I will get the file extensions and I will make sure I hit the reload button just in case for it. I will tell you if this works for I am in school currently.

Thanks,

Valdez :geek:
Fighting, Horrible disposition to others based on beliefs... What's the point anymore? Was there ever a point? Dead is what it is and always will be until peace is achieved through everyone.
Valdez

Postby Valdez » Thu May 29, 2008 3:58 pm

Well that didn't work. So what is important about the trasparency layer? And also, does it matter if the image is lower in highth that 256? Because mine is only about 243 pixels in that direction.
Valdez

Postby D'Lanor » Thu May 29, 2008 8:14 pm

Let's put it this way. You want to do things the way Cyan does. Once that works you can go experimenting with different settings.

I think you also need to turn off mipmap and Interpol. Is that right boblishman?
D'Lanor

Postby boblishman » Fri May 30, 2008 12:28 am

yes... correct ... the setting are HERE

However, this tutorial is for sketches ... for linking panels, I would stick to the exact pixel size of 512 x 256 (just to be safe) ... but use the same settings as skectches (in Blender) for your linking panels ... (having Interpol switched on will definately stop your picture from working - as it compresses the texture)
boblishman

Postby Valdez » Fri May 30, 2008 4:09 pm

That worked perfectly! Thanks a bunch! :D :D I am going to realese my age TINA Testing Area soon! With its addition, SecretAge! :D And thanks again!
Valdez

Previous

Return to Scripting