Stumped on final puzzle idea

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Stumped on final puzzle idea

Postby GPNMilano » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:49 am

Okay, run into a bit of a problem with a puzzle i'm working on. I have various puzzles in my age, as the explorer travels through them they have to complete the puzzles to gain access to the next area of the age. Similar to Kadish. The final "puzzle" is what I'm having trouble with.

Basically I want to have an elevator, that reads your ki similar to the Nexus, and checks to see if you're allowed access to the elevator. I want the elevator to be useable to people if they have completed the rest of the puzzles in the age. What I want to do is have a clickable that activates the ki-animation for the Nexus's, where you insert your hand into the KI. From then the puzzle checks if you've completed the rest of the puzzles in the age, and will only open the elevator doors and move you to the final area if you have. If you haven't it acts as though your ki isn't registered with that function and does nothing. But I'm stuck on how to get the python script for the elevator button to recognize that the player has completed the necessary requirements to move forward.

Any help in this would be appreciated.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Re: Stumped on final puzzle idea

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:49 pm

There's a GlobalAnimation for the KI Slot. Use that...

Also, save your puzzle state(s) in SDL and you can check them easily with PtGetAgeSDL()
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby GPNMilano » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:05 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:There's a GlobalAnimation for the KI Slot. Use that...

Also, save your puzzle state(s) in SDL and you can check them easily with PtGetAgeSDL()

Yeah, I was going to use the GA for the Ki Slot already. After posting this I realized that all the solutions for the puzzles are states in the SDL, and the script i'm currently writing should, once done, use PtGetAgeSDL and verify the states of all the puzzles to activate the elevator.
GPNMilano

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:23 pm

:D

It's always great seeing someone try to do something new.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby GPNMilano » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:47 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:It's always great seeing someone try to do something new.

I was kind of upset actually. I was hoping to use the Animation for the Debris pushing in E'rcana for one of the puzzles, and did some digging and found out that it wasn't a GlobalAnimation and was tied into the age specifically. So I nixed that idea for the puzzle. But in retrospect it seemed to "Legend of Zelda" ish anyway.
GPNMilano

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:24 am

GPNMilano wrote:I was hoping to use the Animation for the Debris pushing in E'rcana for one of the puzzles, and did some digging and found out that it wasn't a GlobalAnimation and was tied into the age specifically.

Before you give up on that idea, take a look at Lontahv's "non-GlobalAnimation" sample age, in the topic below:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1575
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Deledrius » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:50 am

GPNMilano wrote:
Tsar Hoikas wrote:It's always great seeing someone try to do something new.

I was kind of upset actually. I was hoping to use the Animation for the Debris pushing in E'rcana for one of the puzzles, and did some digging and found out that it wasn't a GlobalAnimation and was tied into the age specifically. So I nixed that idea for the puzzle. But in retrospect it seemed to "Legend of Zelda" ish anyway.

Yeah I had a similar idea for the Er'cana anim myself.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Return to Scripting