Linking fossil works!

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Linking fossil works!

Postby Metabasalt1 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:13 pm

Shorah friends!
I am pleased to announce that the linking fossil in Dragon's tooth now works! Thanks for all your help D'Lanor! This has been a dream of mine for years to create an age where you can link to the same area but at a different (geologic) age. When you now click on the fossil, you will be taken back to how Dragon's tooth looked during the Ordovician time period about 450 million years ago. These ages are not on the ULM, as I am still working on them. But you can download all the files you need from:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=0c4d ... afed45d69e
(It should be all one URL)
The download file is 38 meg, so it may take a while to download, but it will be worth it. Once you unzip the file, you will find two folders: Dragon's tooth and Ordovician. Put the dat files in the dat folder, sfx files in sfx folder, sdl files in sdl folder, and the pak files in the python folder. Load ULM and create two books; one for Dragon's tooth and one for Ordovician. It is ok they have different prefix suffix numbers. You can then run uru.
Inside the zipped folders, I have also included the blender files and uncompiled python files, so you can see the Alcscript and python coding. For those of you wanting to create a linking object simpler than a linking book, this should be of help.
I hope you enjoy the ages as much as I have of writing them, but as the sign says "Be careful swimming in the Ordovician. There are no life guards on duty!
Metabasalt
Metabasalt1

Re: Linking fossil works!

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:04 pm

Just paid a couple visits to Dragon's Tooth. What a terrific way to combine geology facts with 3-D exploration! I particularly liked the cave, with its bubbly sounds and the giant board. Haven't found the linking fossil yet, but I'll keep looking.

Well done, Metabasalt!
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby ardent red » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:05 am

Yay! Well done Metabasalt (and D'Lanor!)! My internet is having a tantrum right now (1 KB/S download... eeurgh), so I'll download the files tomorrow. I can't wait ^_^ !!!

Out of interest, what changes did you make to the linking fossil? When I tested out Dragon's Tooth (looong time ago, when you'd only just started to work on the Ordovician age), the linking fossil seemed to work really well.

EDIT: Oh, and Robert, if you have HUGE problems finding the fossil (which you shouldn't, if you really did design that evil shell), it can be found
Show Spoiler
ardent red

Postby Metabasalt1 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:30 pm

I have cleaned up some of the collision regions in Dragon's tooth and Ordovician. I have uploaded the new files to:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=0c4d ... afed45d69e
with the file name: FOSSILLINKWORKS8_23_08.
I am sorry to hear AR you only have a download speed of 1 kbps. I had a download speed of 6 kbps, and I switched from cable to dsl. Now I get 6 meg always.
Robert the linking fossil should not be hard to find.
Here is a hint:
Show Spoiler

I am glad you are enjoying the ages.
Metabasalt
Metabasalt1

Postby Metabasalt1 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:38 pm

AR:
The linking fossil never worked really until this week. The problem was that I used the wrong file name for my Alcscript. The file has to be called AlcScript. If it is renamed to anything else it does not get compiled into the age. There were also problems in the python .py files, which D'Lanor fixed. I used Plasmashop to assemble the .pak files from the .py, but that program messed up the glue statements. So I switched to urupython.
Metabasalt.
Metabasalt1

Return to Scripting