AlcScript and Python for dummies?

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Re: AlcScript and Python for dummies?

Postby Godot » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:29 am

I have discovered a great tutorial for learning how to create Python script in Blender.

http://jmsoler.free.fr/didacticiel/blen ... ript00.htm
Godot

Postby Jojon » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:47 am

It may be worth noting, that this tutorial is (as far as I can see, from a quick glance) aimed at accessing Blender's API with Python scripts, which is what the pyPRP scripts does.

Python scripts for Uru is a separate thing and does not need to discuss things with Blender - only with Uru (unless you're doing some really wicked inter-application scripting :9)
Jojon

Postby Godot » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:52 pm

My intent was to point out a quick way to get comfortable with Python scripting in Blender for a person new to the process.
At least some of the writers are not programmers and might get some benefit from this.
Godot

Postby Tinuviel » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:06 pm

I have not had a chance to read much yet on the link you provided, Godot. But you had me right. In order to understand Python I need to understand how it works. Then I can look at a script and say, Hey, that line makes the avatar jump up and down! :D Right now it's just copy and paste from the tutorials. I do learn now too since I do so many mistakes I have to straighten. (I have to read my script over and over, and at some point you have to get it.... and the console keeps printing directional error messages) But it is slow going. And I am grateful for every link and help I have had. They are all stored under my favorites, folder: "To stupid? look here"

And I have also run into a new problem. (Suprise!!!!) I have made an elevator that is actually working. But I would like the elevator to go back to frame 1 whenever I link out or exit the game. Is there a way to do that?
«Borders? I have never seen one, but I have heard they exist in the minds of some people.»
(Thor Heyerdahl)
Tinuviel

Postby Jojon » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:16 am

Godot wrote:My intent was to point out a quick way to get comfortable with Python scripting in Blender for a person new to the process.
At least some of the writers are not programmers and might get some benefit from this.

This was actually also my motivation for the little note; to make new programmers aware that it means slightly sidetracking. :)

But you are right: although the article early on states that it assumes some prior Python experience, it explains basic concepts in great plain language and the external application API access method is, AFAICT, universal. :)
Jojon

Postby Godot » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:15 pm

BTW my first age project uses some pretty wicked scripting.
When I started the project a while back I was implementing it in JAVA 3D, before I discoverd Blender.
Godot

Previous

Return to Scripting