scoring and journey cloths

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

scoring and journey cloths

Postby Metabasalt1 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:56 pm

I would like to put some type of scoring system in Dragon's tooth, but I am not sure how to do it. For example, it would be nice to put journey cloths in certain areas of the age. When clicked maybe a display would show the number of cloths clicked in the form of a digital display. I know I would need clickable objects (no problem), I would guess the number of clicked cloths would be in an sdl file, and some python code. If you put a print statement in the python code it would just be printed to a log file. How do you get it to print in game on the screen?
Or use a graphical scoring system like the hand symbols in the cleft. I know that there are journey cloths in the Tina, but I cannot download the files to Tina. I just get a red book in the ulm.
Thanks.
Metabasalt
Metabasalt1

Re: scoring and journey cloths

Postby Grogyan » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:26 am

As far as I know, journey cloths are off limits as they use Yeesha's ability, by way of RAWA's directions for us writers.

An alternative I guess is to use switches and lights, ie flip a switch and a light turns on.

To return to the last point, you'll have to figure out how to add a page to a book on Relto from within the Age in question, as an example of how Cyan kinda does it, have a look at the Ahnonay spheres when using the books only
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby Jojon » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:05 am

There are probably countless ways you could do the mechanics for the score counter at the end of your quiz path. Two simple ways, that comes to mind, is to stack planes with numbers 0-9 on them and set only one as visible, or to do 0-9 animations and pick anim sequence. Once we can do dynamic things, like the imager text screens in D'ni, you should be able to do something more verbose. :)
Jojon

Postby Chacal » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:41 am

Metabasalt1 wrote:I would like to put some type of scoring system in Dragon's tooth, but I am not sure how to do it. For example, it would be nice to put journey cloths in certain areas of the age. When clicked maybe a display would show the number of cloths clicked in the form of a digital display. I know I would need clickable objects (no problem), I would guess the number of clicked cloths would be in an sdl file, and some python code. If you put a print statement in the python code it would just be printed to a log file. How do you get it to print in game on the screen?

To answer the original question (as we're not Cyan Legal so legalities are none of our business), the GUI system is currently under work by the devs. I know Paradox has had some success with printing on the GUI. For now I'd suggest you follow Jojon's suggestion. No doubt you could also display a number on a 3D object (either by changing textures or by changing objects) depending on the content of a SDL variable.

Another possibility would be to have hidden objects with the numbers on them, and to switch the camera to the correct object.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Metabasalt1 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:33 pm

Thanks for the suggestions...I can avoid using journey clothes, but I would like a scoring system of some type. I like the idea of a digital readout.
Metabasalt.
Metabasalt1

Postby GPNMilano » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:21 pm

Metabasalt1 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions...I can avoid using journey clothes, but I would like a scoring system of some type. I like the idea of a digital readout.
Metabasalt.

For a digital readout you'll need to write up a python script for the scoring, as well as the SDL variables. Your digital readout can be done with layer animations, where everytime you click on one of your buttons or whatever to keep score, it disables drawing on the last layer animation, and enables the drawing on another.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Return to Scripting