Seeking Advice on Minigame Interface

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Seeking Advice on Minigame Interface

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:20 am

So, we've been working on a treasure hunt minigame for the ERC Age, and I was hoping to get a professional opinion from you guys on what sort of interface would work best. :geek: The discussion is over here at: http://forum.guildofwriters.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=2241&start=0 We've been wondering whether a journal interface would work best, or a holographic interface, or a piece of paper interface...The trick is, the interface needs the capability of having boxes that can be checked and unchecked; furthermore, each of these items would have to hold only the treasure hunt data for the individual player accessing them, and no others.
Jennifer_P

Re: Seeking Advice on Minigame Interface

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:53 am

Jennifer_P wrote:furthermore, each of these items would have to hold only the treasure hunt data for the individual player accessing them, and no others.

Individual player data is stored in the chronicle folder. You could be the first to actually use this in a user age. :D

I guess any interface would work. A journal is one way to make the data individually accessible, although making journals with changing content can be quite a challenge.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Aloys » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:42 pm

Any solution would include the use of a GUI though. What the develpoment status on these? Last I heard Paradox was making some good progress on them.
Aloys

Postby Grogyan » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:20 pm

Yes I agree, talk with Paradox, it may just give him enough motivation to get GUI's working properly in PyPrp
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby Lontahv » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:40 pm

Grogyan, IIRC Paradox HAS them working it's just that he doesn't have the clickables working (so you could have a GUI without clickables).

Maybe one of these days we can set up some PRC lessons for all of you folks and then the devs can go away to some place warm and sunny and never come back (granted, this _does_ sound like we got eaten by sharks but that's beside the point). ;)
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Aloys » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:41 am

GUI without clickables? Hey that means we could have maps or notes and such? :)
Also: PRC? Google says People Republic of Chine which I guess wasn't your point :lol:
Aloys

Postby Lontahv » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:34 pm

Aloys wrote:GUI without clickables? Hey that means we could have maps or notes and such? :)
Also: PRC? Google says People Republic of Chine which I guess wasn't your point :lol:

Hmm... :lol:

Just think of it as a XML version of a prp. This is Zrax's thing. Just look at the libPlasma svn under "tools" for various PRC-writing/reading/etc. tools. http://uru.zrax.net/svn/Plasma

:)
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Paradox » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:48 pm

The GUI and the GUI Cameras are implemented. However, none of the GUI controls are implemented. So no buttons, sliders, text, etc.

Luckily, all of those are fully supported by libPlasma, and it's more convenient to compiled them from PRC than it is to figure out how to set up the AlcScripting for them.
Paradox

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:17 pm

I guess any interface would work. A journal is one way to make the data individually accessible, although making journals with changing content can be quite a challenge.

Hmm...What would be needed would be a set of check boxes that have two interchangable states. I could see that being very tricky for a journal object. But it looks like the chronicles file would be perfect for achieving the saved individual states needed for the game. :)

The GUI and the GUI Cameras are implemented. However, none of the GUI controls are implemented. So no buttons, sliders, text, etc.
Luckily, all of those are fully supported by libPlasma, and it's more convenient to compiled them from PRC than it is to figure out how to set up the AlcScripting for them.

Okay; so then, how far out do you think this is...? I.e. do you think that we could be using these GUI features within the next three months, six months, eight months? I'm just wondering if we should wait for the good stuff, or just make do with what's available now in terms of user controls.
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:17 pm

Hmm...What would be needed would be a set of check boxes that have two interchangable states. I could see that being very tricky for a journal object. But it looks like the chronicles file would be perfect for achieving the saved individual states needed for the game. :)

Okay; so then, how far out do you think this is...? I.e. do you think that we could be using these GUI features within the next three months, six months, eight months? I'm just wondering if we should wait for the good stuff, or just make do with what's available now in terms of user controls.
Jennifer_P

Next

Return to Scripting