Scripting for idiots like me

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Re: Scripting for idiots like me

Postby boblishman » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:27 am

Trylon wrote:.... Give it a bit of time.

how long is "a bit of time" ... ?

see this post (dated october 21st) :roll:

if I sound a little bitter ... thats probably because I don't like it when someone says "I can do this ..." and then doesn't tell me how ... if it's not showing off, why tell me in the first place (if you've no intention of telling me how to do it ? ) ... I DO think that's a bit mean ... and I make NO apologies for feeling that way ... after all, I didn't start the process by posting ... ;)
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Postby boblishman » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:38 am

this is how it should be done ...

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2504&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Postby Trylon » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:03 pm

Yeah well, I understand how you feel too, it can be quite frustrating knowing something can be done, but not knowing how.

I think it's best to just ask the person in question how it is done, without expecting a detailed tutorial.
Bugging someone is fine, just be sure to show that you're doing an effort to understand them :)

P.S.
Andy, I wouldn't count you as a "lesser mortal" even if I did make such a distinction.
You've done amazing work in figuring all kinds of things plasma related, and did some wonderful writing last year.
And anyone able to figure out our tutorials and tools to the point of making an age of the quality seen in las RAD entries could hardly be classified as such.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby andylegate » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:33 pm

Thanks!

I owe it all to my ESP! Oh, and the funny little voices in my head. They say they're from Alpha Centauri......except for this one voice...he claims he's being held captive at Area 51 and----

What? Why y'all looking at me like that? Why's Chacal coming towards me with that funny white jacket and really long sleeves??? Get away! Geat away!!!

:lol: :lol:
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby GPNMilano » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:15 pm

boblishman wrote:
Trylon wrote:.... Give it a bit of time.

how long is "a bit of time" ... ?

see this post (dated october 21st) :roll:

if I sound a little bitter ... thats probably because I don't like it when someone says "I can do this ..." and then doesn't tell me how ... if it's not showing off, why tell me in the first place (if you've no intention of telling me how to do it ? ) ... I DO think that's a bit mean ... and I make NO apologies for feeling that way ... after all, I didn't start the process by posting ... ;)

Bob, I didn't write a tutorial because the process wasn't finished yet. I just found the way to put them in, but it was still jerky as i couldn't move the particles to my liking, and rescript them. I passed the information on to others, specifically Andy and Paradox, so that they could fine tune it and fix the process so that it was clean and understandable for others to work with. After which Andy said that he would write the tutorial. Which he did.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby Grogyan » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:10 pm

Wow, I go to work, then come home then there are like loads of responses.

The problem I face is reading and copying, cause the rest don't make sense

Take this example that I hope to do in the new Age

Object:
Object attached to subworld:
Animate object:
Object animated for x seconds

Logic:
At time interval A do
Stop animation for x seconds
lower collider
wait x seconds
raise collider
Continue Animation

At time interval B
Stop animation for x seconds
lower collider
wait x seconds
raise collider
Continue Animation

So far I have Nadnerbs Age using a simple lift, and Can't read it let alone follow it

So basically what i'm after is what we use to have, that being a simple Age that shows off every significant feature as a seperate entity, as well as within the Age a combined set of features that does something, and have all the AlcScript commented on what each line or section does, can we have that?
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Previous

Return to Scripting