Any jMonkeys in the house?

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Any jMonkeys in the house?

Postby AtionSong » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:52 pm

So I started looking at jMonkey a while ago. I can program in java pretty well, but the API is just too confusing, the tutorials incomplete and buggy, etc. After a few months, I've pretty much given up figuring it out. However, it seemed to me to have the potential as an age creation tool beyond Plasma/SL/etc.

I'm wondering if any Writers here at the programmer forum are familiar at all with the jMonkey engine. If so, if you'd either PM me so I could talk to you, or lead me to the source where you were able to get familiar with it, I would super-appreciate it. Thanks. - Ation
AtionSong

Re: Any jMonkeys in the house?

Postby Lontahv » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:12 pm

I can't say as Java is my favorite programming language. It also seems to have performance issues (eating much more mem than C++ apps). Not exactly sure what you plan to do with it but I'd warn against trying to replace Plasma with it (even just a tiny bit) because of the Java. :P
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Re: Any jMonkeys in the house?

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:12 am

I've only browsed the jMonkey web site. It seems that it was produced by developers who were frustrated with Java3D and made their own scene graph management API. I've worked extensively with Java3D and have been able to get decent performance out of it, using the right command-line settings and the server JVM (that comes with the JDK, not the JRE).

But, like Lontahv, I also caution against looking for a Plasma replacement - especially since we'll soon have its source!
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Return to Scripting