Languages other than python?

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Languages other than python?

Postby ardent red » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:14 pm

I was wondering wether it would be possible to use languages other than python in Uru- for example, I was considering using processing (http://www.processing.org) to create an interactive music visualizer for Uru. Processing outputs Java code. Is there a way to wrap the java code in python code, and use that in Uru?
ardent red

Re: Languages other than python?

Postby Kenguin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:31 pm

You'd need a tool that can compile Java into Python bytecode, which seems unlikely (I can't find anything like that). I think Python bytecode is very strongly linked with the language itself, so it's going to be hard to translate other languages into it.

Interestingly, there is a tool that compiles Python into Java bytecode (Jython) -- but that doesn't help here.
Kenguin

Re: Languages other than python?

Postby Zrax » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:50 pm

It could probably be done, since both languages rely on the use of a pure-stack machine in their interpreters... But as you say, the Python bytecode is very heavily linked to the language, and many of Python's features would be lost coming from Java source...
Zrax

Return to Scripting