Journal/linkingbook file generator

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Journal/linkingbook file generator

Postby Justintime9 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:00 pm

I've recently learned how to make journals in my age. Now, although the template was helpful, the journal scripts can be quite confusing. Even the smallest mistake can cause the journal not to work, and finding that mistake is often difficult, and discouraging for writers less familiar with Python.

As a solution to this problem, I was wondering if it is possible to make a sort of stencil program for the Journal .py files. (I use the word stencil, instead of templace, so as not to be confused with D'lanor's dyanamic book template) By this I mean a program in which the writer would simply have to type in the name of their journal object, the texture, and all other necessary information to generate the file.

The first page would be the BookGUI files, after the writer entered the required information, they would click next to get to the PageDefs part. Once the Journals.py page has been completed, a button will say "Generate files, and the stencil, connected to generic BookGUI, PageDefs, and Journals file, would be programed to replace the default settings, with the ones entered in the Journal Stencil program.

A similar principle is used in a website that generates Citations for research papers: http://citationmachine.net/index2.php?r ... urce_mod=0

A program like this would make creating journals much easier. I don't know if this is easy or possible, but what do you guys think?
Justintime9

Re: Journal/linkingbook file generator

Postby Dragonwing » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:29 pm

Yep. Very doable. I may even whip one up myself ( once I figure out how journals work ), but I know very little Python so it would be made with some other language.
Dragonwing

Postby I.Brattin » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:51 pm

I am not very knowledgeable in Python. And the templates do baffle me a little bit which is why I never setup linking books. A Program that would setup the python files would be nice. Shoot if it would even generate the lines to put in alcscript would be wonderful.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
Jayden Halliwell (IC Explorer) - 54404
I.Brattin

Postby Jamey » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:24 pm

I'd love to see something like this... :)
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Justintime9 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:49 pm

Yeah, wonder if the people who made drizzle could do this, it seems like a similar thing.
Justintime9

Postby Jamey » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:53 am

Has anything new or official happened in terms of this? I'd love to see this kind of tool available. It would make programming journals a lot easier. :)
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Justintime9 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:34 pm

Yeah, has anyone tried? It seems like it'd be pretty easy to make.
Justintime9

Return to Scripting