A few animation questions

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

A few animation questions

Postby Shoggoth » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:47 pm

Okay: three questions. Don't feel like you have to answer all of them.

First of all, I'm designing an area in which the avatar can enter a dumbwaiter to ascend to an otherwise inaccessible room. The avatar would need to jump onto a table and then click on the opening to duck into the elevator in the same way as the Myst Island fireplace; the elevator would then ascend with the camera frozen in place, the camera would cut to the upper floor, and the avatar would automatically crawl out of the dumbwaiter. My question is whether we have the ability to use the Myst fireplace animation, since I don't see it on any lists of avatar animations. Honestly, I don't know if this would even work for my purposes, since the avatar animation has to pause for the elevator to ascend. Is this possible?
Secondly, let's suppose I wanted to use the animated Nexus terminal that shows up in a few Ages (the one with the spinning gear at the bottom). Let's assume I know nothing about libPlasma (a good assumption). How would I go about extracting and using this model, and would this preserve the animation and sound that go with it? Is this even legally acceptable at this point?
Finally, the door that the player is trying to bypass by using the dumbwaiter mentioned above is unable to open due to a jam in the mechanism. I'd like it to emit sparks when the player tries to open it. From what I've read of particle systems in Blender and Plasma, I'd probably be better off making planar quads and animating their positions and textures to simulate sparks, but I thought I'd ask what the status was on this. What would I have to do if I wanted to use particles instead?
Shoggoth

Re: A few animation questions

Postby Agenotfound » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:18 pm

Shoggoth wrote: The avatar would need to jump onto a table and then click on the opening to duck into the elevator in the same way as the Myst Island fireplace; the elevator would then ascend with the camera frozen in place, the camera would cut to the upper floor, and the avatar would automatically crawl out of the dumbwaiter. My question is whether we have the ability to use the Myst fireplace animation, since I don't see it on any lists of avatar animations.

That's because these animations are not global so you will need to load them via python if you want to use them.

The pages you'll have to load are:

Myst_District_FemaleFireplaceClimbIn.prp
Myst_District_FemaleFireplaceClimbOut.prp
Myst_District_MaleFireplaceClimbIn.prp
Myst_District_MaleFireplaceClimbOut.prp

Shoggoth wrote:Honestly, I don't know if this would even work for my purposes, since the avatar animation has to pause for the elevator to ascend. Is this possible?

it doesn't have to pause or anything. the first anim make the Avatar climb in the fireplace (or in you case the dumbwaiter) then he stands up.
the second one makes him bend down and then climb out. The only thing you'll need is to make sure the avatar face the exit when reaching the top/bottom.
Agenotfound

Re: A few animation questions

Postby Shoggoth » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:27 pm

Ah, good. It's been a while since I played the game, so I forgot how the animation looked. Makes sense for them to be separate animations. I had a feeling they weren't global but I hadn't seen them listed anywhere. Guess I didn't look hard enough. Thanks.
Shoggoth

Return to Scripting