Multibutton puzzle

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Multibutton puzzle

Postby Justintime9 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:37 am

After perfecting Shinelight Manor, I'm finally ready to add a major puzzle. Here's the plan:

I'll have about 20 buttons, each of which is clickable. 10 to 5, if pressed in the correct order will open a door. There will also be a reset button for the puzzle, to close the door.

How exactly would I create a puzzle like this? I'm assuming there'll have to be a click region for each button, so it's clickable, that will point to a certain python file with the correct order the buttons have to be pushed in. Then of course the reset button will have to work in there somewhere.
Justintime9

Re: Multibutton puzzle

Postby D'Lanor » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:25 pm

You can place a single click region around all the buttons. Then you add the Alcscript to the button objects (animation, logic modifier to make them clickable) and to your door (animation, logic actions like the pythonfilemod and responders).

However, you won't be able to pull this off without a Python programmer. And nope, that is not going to be me since I have other obligations. 20 buttons is an insane amount though and it will surely drive you and your programmer crazy. :D
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Justintime9 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:19 pm

Ok... I just counted all my "buttons" (actually they are the paintings in the backroom of Shinelight manor), and they add up to 25. :P However I have an idea of how I can "cheat".

Perhaps if I make all the buttons that aren't part of the combination clickable separately (not part of the combination), and not really linked to anything. Then we can limit the combination to 5 buttons, making it significantly less. It doesn't have to have an avatar animation either if that will help things.

Any programmers willing to help?
Justintime9

Postby ametist » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:46 pm

Justin, I have a five-button puzzle in 'Kinnekulle', take a look at the python-files for that and I'm sure you can figure out how to use it. It have no reset button though and I did not make it myself, D'Lanor did. The age is on the UAM :D Good luck!
ametist

Postby D'Lanor » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:46 am

That is a simplified version of the Kadish vault panel. Justin could use that template for a start but it needs to be totally rewired because that code cannot handle more than 9 buttons.

It does have an automatic reset which kicks in when all buttons are clicked.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Justintime9 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:54 pm

well, I changed it so that now there's only 6 buttons, (what I did was put a clickregion in front of all the "buttons" that aren't part of the combination so that they're clickable, but in reality don't do anything.
Justintime9

Postby diafero » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:40 am

This is not the same as a 25 button puzzle with all buttons being "real buttons" though... at least if you let the explorer enter a sequence. In the "full" case, pressing the first correct button, then a wrong one, and then the 2nd correct one, will not end up working as there is that wrong button click in between. If however that button is ignored, the input will be accepted.
What you could do though is make all the wrong buttons one "real" button connected to the script, so that clicking is not ignored, but it does not matter which of the wrong ones you click.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Justintime9 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:22 am

hmmm... I think I get the gist of what you're saying, but I'm not sure if those buttons having no impact would really matter too much. This could however make there more than one possible combinations:

Key: the X buttons are "fake" buttons, Green buttons are "real" buttons. Black numbers are the correct combination, and Green numbers are the buttons the player presses to get the right combination.

If this is the case, I don't think the "fake" buttons being ignored will matter, as it would just make it more complicated. (forgive me if I completely misunderstood what you were saying :P)

Btw, I took a look at the Kinnekulle combination python file, and I think I sort of understand what's going on there. (although it might need some explaining.)
Justintime9

Postby diafero » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:26 am

Yes, that's exactly what I meant - the lower combination will be accepted, too.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby ametist » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:21 am

D'Lanor wrote:It does have an automatic reset which kicks in when all buttons are clicked.

Yes, and IMO that works very good for that particular puzzle because the player really needs to know in what order to click, doing it randomly won't reviel the reward ;)
ametist

Next

Return to Scripting