Making Relto Be Night Time (Like Phil's Relto)

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Making Relto Be Night Time (Like Phil's Relto)

Postby specik » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:34 am

Hello all,

This is something of a long standing wish of mine. I want to know how I can go about changing the lighting of my Relto so that it is night time; and what PRP textures to replace to have a star field sky (like the star field in the Great Tree)? I have intermediate knowledge of editing SDL and PRP files, but don't know where to start when it comes to adjusting light sources.

Thanks!
specik

Re: Making Relto Be Night Time (Like Phil's Relto)

Postby D'Lanor » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:58 am

Changing the lighting and the fog color does not have the desired effect. You need to replace most of the the textures as well. Have a look at the textures in Phil's Relto. You'll see that they are different than the "normal" Relto textures.

If you want to make it a day/night toggle you are going to need two versions of just about everything. Then you have to design a mechanism which toggles the layers based on an SDL value.
You could make different day and night objects and toggle those on/off. That would be the least difficult method but it makes the age almost twice as large.
Or you can keep the same amount of objects, add night layers to them and toggle those using opacity animations.
Or you can keep the same amount of objects with the same amount of layers but turn the layers into plLayerSDLAnimations. This would be the most elegant solution but it is also the hardest.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but if it was easy it would have been done long ago. ;)
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby specik » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:17 am

Thanks for the info. I'm not really looking to make a "toggle", I just really want it to be night all the time in my Relto. I managed to change the light colors, but have been unsuccessful in changing the fog or sky color. Can you perhaps point me in the direction of where to look for these in the PRP files?
specik

Postby D'Lanor » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:36 am

The fog color is in the Personal.fni file.
D'Lanor

Postby diafero » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:43 am

Or you use the /fcol command in the Offline KI
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby specik » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:31 pm

Okay so here's what I've managed to do thus far:

- Changed the sky to match Phil's
- Changed the fog around the island and pinnacles to match Phil's
- Changed the intensity of light coming from moons, changed shadow direction to match

However, I cannot figure out for the life of me, how to delete the light source coming from the sun. I've eliminated any reference to Sun or Sunshine I've found, including the ones under Directional Light Info. Maybe I just don't understand how all the variables of an environment like this are put together. What am I missing? Can someone point me in the right direction?

As a last resort, I'm going to decompile the whole Relto age and attempt to load it up in a 3D design program to make it easier to identify that damn light source.

Thanks!
specik

Postby ddb174 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:21 pm

There's also the old Admin-ki command. Perhaps that could be ported to the Offline-KI? It's not like Phil's Relto, but can be done entirely with Python.
ddb174

Postby diafero » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:03 am

Do you mean /reltostars? I do have the sources for that one. The only issue I see is that it was not at all written for the Offline KI, and I have no clue if it's okay for the original author if I release it to the public (I don't even know who the author is).
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby D'Lanor » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:18 am

If I'm not mistaken that command was made by DatokerJ.
D'Lanor

Postby specik » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:59 pm

Ah that would be amazing if it could all be done via python. I loaded relto into blender and it gave me no insights. The RTDirSunshine object is the light source and nor removing It or changing its color has had any effect. I also changed the sky texture to be a starfield but it doesn't look right. Currently my relto looks like a night gone horribly wrong. My idea was to make the sky look like Tolomer in myst 5 (even pulled the textures) but the problem is how relto uses the texture. If I could get that python script, thatd be a big help
specik

Next

Return to Scripting