changing avatar coupled sounds

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Re: changing avatar coupled sounds

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:08 pm

diafero wrote:(also, wouldn't it be better to use the avatar's position and orientation?)

It does use the avatar's position. Only the orientation is taken from the camera. For a camera facing the avatar you don't want sounds coming from opposite sides.

The other reason is that XMode appears to be a single toggle for all 3 parameters at once. Changing and restoring those 3 independently requires more experimentation.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Jojon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:17 am

D'Lanor wrote:...
For a camera facing the avatar you don't want sounds coming from opposite sides.

I'm not so sure about that, but then I have yet to try it.

I am certainly among those who are annoyed with Uru's default behaviour of using the camera position -- good for a cinematic camera, not so much for an avatar one, so I, too, have to thank you for your reseach and sharing. :)

(Velocity, by the way? I'm probably missing something obvious here, but what is this used for? Do we have doppler compression?)
Jojon

Postby D'Lanor » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:53 am

Jojon wrote:(Velocity, by the way? I'm probably missing something obvious here, but what is this used for? Do we have doppler compression?)

As you know (being an age builder) cameras have their own velocity settings. Even if you match the listener to the position of the avatar it could still lag behind if it uses the camera velocity. Although in general cameras move faster than avatars once accelerated to full speed. Hmm, now I wonder... would the listener in its default setting also use the camera acceleration? And would we even notice?
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Jojon » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:26 am

There is no end to the things I do not know.:)

Yes; I do remember that cameras have velocity- and velocity change-rate parameters, which (like many many others) I have never managed to get to make any difference, nor find any permissable ranges for (e.g. I have never managed to make a circle cam, that doesn't sloooowly try to catch up with my avatar, which has long since walked out of frame. :P )

At any rate; It just seemed reasonable to me that the listener would simply directly inherit its position from whatever it is attached to; be that an instance of an avatar camera brain, or any other and that that would implicitly mean its ("current" as opposed to "nominal") travelling speed would be directly inherited as well...

So since the value is there; That led me to wonder whether it is used in the audio processing pipeline, in any way. E.g. I've never thought to look whether there is any in-game delay before the sound made by a distant event reaches you, dependent on how far it is, or whether positions are predicted, in order to mask lagging, or even whether there is any doppler effect pitch shifts, or whether any of those would work both with and without EAX -- I've just expected none of those things.

Ooook, sorry for rambling.
Jojon

Previous

Return to Scripting