Wall code for MOULa

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Re: Wall code for MOULa

Postby dendwaler » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:03 pm

Technicaly i dont know why this happens.
There are many problems with the physics, especialy when animations or subworlds are involved.
I have the same problem in one of my ages under construction.
I noticed that when i place a second collider just above or under the existing one, it does not happen any longer.
The same dull solution for cameras that go through walls.
I know its a workaround, but in most cases it is sufficient.
May be this helps you a bit or others to find a real solution.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby johnsojc » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:18 pm

Unfortunately, I have neither the knowledge or the tools to do age building. I started with the scripts because (oddly enough) they were easiest for me to work with. I got my first taste playing the wall on TOC and IIRC there were similar issues there but not nearly as bad. Obviously, very little (or none) clean up work was done with the wall for MOULa. I remember the nexus room texturing seemed unfinished.

In any case, I commented out the wall code in my github pep8 branch of the moul-scripts but it's there if anyone wants to mess with it. I don't believe we are allowed to mess with Gahreesen per the license agreement but this one begs to be fixed. There's little enough to do in the game and having this game working would be really nice.

WOW! the response time for the forum is soooo slow right now I can see why you ended up triple posting!
johnsojc

Postby Christopher » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:26 pm

The problem with the tubes is a missing collider on one of the tubes. Basically you are falling through this tube if the animation is triggered a bit to late. Regarding the problem when you start climbing the Wall: There was a stupid eroor in the client code. You have to make these modification for the wall to work.

Christopher
Christopher

Postby johnsojc » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:27 pm

I will give it a try. Thanks so much. (Now if I can remember how to compile my client again :) )
johnsojc

Postby johnsojc » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:09 pm

Well that worked... I was able to climb the wall successfully but...

As soon as I got to the top, instead of linking to the nexus room, the camera slowly drifted down to the right and then both clients crashed. The last entry in the log was:
Code: Select all
(09/21 14:27:12) grsnNexusBookMachine.OnNotify():  id 12
(09/21 14:27:19) grsnWallPythom.OnTimer():  south wins

I have to trace the program flow from the log but the last command was probably PtGetLocalAvatar().avatar.exitSubWorld() .

Edit: very strange... the code to exit the subworld was executed but the fake link to the nexus room never happened... chasing logic chain path... I think my OnTImer() routine is totally wrong!

Yes, the win logic in my Python code is completely wrong... at least I can work on that part. The win activator is not being executed at all... the OnTimer() code makes no sense to me at all.
johnsojc

Postby Christopher » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:10 pm

Yeah the part with the OnTimer... The Problem is that you are imprisoned in a subworld and can't exit the elevator in the Maintainer Nexus. It seems that the exit region (if there is any) isn't triggered. So I made a workaround which let you exit the subworld after a certain amount of time... It's probably the best to throw out the whole Maintainer Nexus and warp you directly back to the Panel room...

Christopher
Christopher

Postby johnsojc » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:57 pm

I'll mess with it a bit to see if I can find where my code logic fails. Time to enhance all the new debug statements I added to be less cryptic. Now that I know the intent of the OnTimer() code, I can put it in my back pocket and use it if it's still needed.
johnsojc

Postby johnsojc » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:34 am

Progress (sort of). I disabled the OnTimer() code and ran a test again. As soon as the south team won, the north team client crashed and I got the same drifting view of the wall room when I should have linked to the nexus. For whatever reason, I switched to 1st person view and, lo and behold, I was looking at the nexus book machine!. Unfortunately, I could not move forward to use the book which was continually popping in and out of the nexus column. Using fly mode, I was able to get close enough to the book to click on it which returned me to the control chair. I arrived in default avvie clothes and the chair display still was set for the previous game. The last thing in the north team log was the game state changing to kNorthQuit.

Anyone have any suggestions as to the 1st person issue in the nexus and the (apparent) barrier to approaching the linking book? I will try to figure out the quit logic problem which appears to be causing the client crash.
johnsojc

Postby Christopher » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:12 am

johnsojc wrote:I got the same drifting view of the wall room when I should have linked to the nexus.

I think the problem is that the client doesn't leave the camera region. There is a lot stuff missing in the prps I think.

johnsojc wrote:Unfortunately, I could not move forward to use the book

That's the problem I described. You are still in the subworld of the elevator. The collision, which is blocking you is part of this subworld. If you want to leave the elevator you first have to exit the subworld.

Christopher
Christopher

Postby johnsojc » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:25 am

ok, thanks again. back to tinkering with the code...
johnsojc

PreviousNext

Return to Scripting