Pellets DO something... or not ?

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Pellets DO something... or not ?

Postby Sirius » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:34 am

Hey, here is an old code I never completed because of Uru's crazy way of handling SDLs (again...). That's one of many reasons I got bored of fixing things on Uru lately.

[Spoil warning: events about Book of Ti'ana]

Well, you know the algae in the D'ni lake originally lit up the whole cavern before Veovis filled it with deadly neurotoxin poison ?
Cyan added the pellet dropping thing in the Uran (and the lake light meter) so that players could heal the algae by feeding them with pellets.
But they never had time to actually make these pellets affect D'ni (and therefore removed the lake light meter).

Well, I tried to create such behavior myself, and the result was not too bad.
I managed to change the light in the city to have a 30 hours day/night cycle :) (technically, I'm not directly affecting light, I'm playing with fog values, but the result is quite good).
Then I copied some code from MOUL to eval the pellet points you earn (the ones you see in the KI) and the lake points (affecting the lake light). I got everything working, except the damnable SDL variable which allows me to give the city these points. Well, I could give these informations to the city, but never to the instance you link to. Other ways to do it (chronicles) wouldn't work online, since it involved storing each player's score in his/her vault and not directly in the Age.

I dropped this project, and forgot about the script until today.
So, I'm releasing it, pellets won't affect the lake light, but you'll have the day/night cycle in Ae'gura. Just create a new .pak file in Uru's "Python" folder with Plasmashop, import the file in it, save and load the game.

Enjoy !

Also: since on MOUL pellet scores are managed another way than I'm doing in PotS, I added code in the comments that might work online - in case anyone is interested.
Attachments
city.zip
(4.16 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
Sirius

Re: Pellets DO something... or not ?

Postby diafero » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:14 am

I assume the SDL problems are caused by the offline game not properly syncing the SDL you can see in the vault, and the one which is stored in the .sav file. This should work on a MOUL server though :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Return to Scripting