Simple journals and Linking Books

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Re: Simple journals and Linking Books

Postby Deledrius » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:48 am

Sirius wrote:As for the Ahnonay linking panel, loading a different panel for each sphere wouldn't be too hard - the only problem is the panel wouldn't be changed if you kept the book up and someone rotated the spheres.

The best solution for the linking panel to look exactly as a "real" linking panel would be to load the Age in memory with any player exploring it, and render this Age on the book - which is beyond most game engine's performances. Still, that would be fun :)

I didn't mean from a technical perspective but from the in-universe expectation of a live panel. The panel for Ahnonay is deliberately deceptive in a way that makes little sense based on the actual link-in point. But that discussion probably belongs in another thread...
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Re: Simple journals and Linking Books

Postby diafero » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:35 pm

Sirius wrote:Adding a dynamic image map isn't required - it's already used by the book GUI and the ptBook class to draw text and images.
However, there is no way to access it without passing it as an argument in a pythonfilemod.
That's what Dustin did for books - add it to the xKI file, and then save it in a variable in booksDustGlobal.py.

Interesting... so the Python code just draws over the already rendered page and covers a part of it?

I'll upload stuff to Deep Island soon and check whether some existing books and stones still work, before uploading a new version to UAM.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Previous

Return to Scripting