Simple journals and Linking Books

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Re: Simple journals and Linking Books

Postby diafero » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:30 am

Sou you consider these scripts final/releasable by now? I can make a new Offline KI release tomorrow.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Sirius » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:57 am

I forgot the updated script for the Bahro stone, so I rezipped all required files for the release.

Here they are. It includes two modified files from the Offline-KI, my three scripts, and two PRPs.
Sirius

Postby dendwaler » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:06 am

hi Sirius,

just want to say thx!

its a great help for those who are not fluent with Python, (that includes me)

I will give it a try soon , when i continue with my " cathedral", but first i enjoy the lovely summer weather.

:D
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Ainia » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:41 pm

Shorah,

Sirius wrote:I also added a few features, such as:
- animated linking panels (as long as you have a .bik file !)

I like the idea of animated linking panels again (I've missed them from the "old days") but thought bik files were off limits??
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Wamduskasapa » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Ainia wrote:Shorah,

I like the idea of animated linking panels again (I've missed them from the "old days") but thought bik files were off limits??

I also would like to see the animated linking panel of old, on the Bahro Stone and Linking Book
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Deledrius » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:34 pm

Ainia wrote:Shorah,

I think they looked pretty good in Myst 5. I understand the conflict with being unable to show other explorers though (not a problem in the lone Myst games).

Nothing wrong with the bik files, just the code that was being used to read them (though other formats are preferred these days).
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Sirius » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:22 am

dendwaler wrote:hi Sirius,

just want to say thx!

its a great help for those who are not fluent with Python, (that includes me)

I will give it a try soon , when i continue with my " cathedral", but first i enjoy the lovely summer weather.

:D
You're most welcome !

One of the main problems with linking panels are they might crash the game for some Win7 users. It seems they don't even work for Bahro stones...
It's also a problem for Ages like Gira or Jalak, because of the daytime/column height.

Personally, I also miss the flyby of the Age in fullscreen, just before you link... It was quite amazing too...
Sirius

Postby Deledrius » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:38 am

Ahnonay flies in the face of the "live panel" idea, too. ;)
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby diafero » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:36 am

Sirius, do you agree to licensing your files under GPLv3+, with an additional exception that the file may be used in Uru even when combined with non-GPL code - like (most of) the rest of the Offline KI?

I would add a header like this to all three files:

Code: Select all
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
#==============================================================================#
#                                                                              #
#    Copyright 2013      Sirius                                                #
#                                                                              #
#    This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify      #
#    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by      #
#    the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or         #
#    (at your option) any later version, with or (at your option) without      #
#    the Uru exception (see below).                                            #
#    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,           #
#    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of            #
#    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the             #
#    GNU General Public License for more details.                              #
#    Please see the file COPYING for the full GPLv3 license, or see            #
#    <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>                                            #
#    Uru exception: In addition, this file may be used in combination with     #
#    (non-GPL) code within the context of Uru.                                 #
#==============================================================================#

I am a bit confused by the prp file updates - one change is to add the GoW stamp, one changes the xKI Python File Mod, but where is the dynamic image map for the bahro stone added?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Sirius » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:37 am

Sure, the license is ok !

Adding a dynamic image map isn't required - it's already used by the book GUI and the ptBook class to draw text and images.
However, there is no way to access it without passing it as an argument in a pythonfilemod.
That's what Dustin did for books - add it to the xKI file, and then save it in a variable in booksDustGlobal.py.

As for the Ahnonay linking panel, loading a different panel for each sphere wouldn't be too hard - the only problem is the panel wouldn't be changed if you kept the book up and someone rotated the spheres.

The best solution for the linking panel to look exactly as a "real" linking panel would be to load the Age in memory with any player exploring it, and render this Age on the book - which is beyond most game engine's performances. Still, that would be fun :)
Sirius

PreviousNext

Return to Scripting