Alcscript needed

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Re: Alcscript needed

Postby Sirius » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:02 am

Ok, so I was lazy and didn't write a tutorial, but the PyPRP code is waiting for developers' review !

I can't seem to get the hang of GitHub, though - I managed to get the required code in a pull request, but it seems GitHub doesn't allow you to upload a new version of the files directly through their website - I had to manually copy my changes to the online version :? Meh, I should try and use it more often.

Also, the PyPRP version I was using was outdated, which means I had to merge the newest version with my code to make sure I didn't revert anything.
That was a bit annoying, but the weirdest thing is, I realized this outdated version was missing some features... which I wrote myself ! Meaning somehow I managed to reinstall an older version of PyPRP after these changes got included in the plugin :shock:

Anyway, even though there is no tutorial, there is an example Blender file ready - it contains the AlcScript, along with a basic telescope mesh to make sure the avatar's hands line up correctly.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x0ai1f0gt7pnw ... blend?dl=1

BTW, I didn't use the code Deledrius and Hoikas wrote - it's still basically the same, but at some point the AlcScript differs. IIRC, my version is case-sensitive on advance and regress type - I was too lazy modifying it...
User avatar
Sirius
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:46 am
Location: France

Re: Alcscript needed

Postby Deledrius » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:20 pm

Sirius wrote:I can't seem to get the hang of GitHub, though - I managed to get the required code in a pull request, but it seems GitHub doesn't allow you to upload a new version of the files directly through their website - I had to manually copy my changes to the online version :? Meh, I should try and use it more often.

Their web interface is really limited and seems to lead to making a mess without easy ways to fix it (completely the opposite of git itself!). It takes a bit of usage to really get the hang of it, and there's a lot you just can't do without using the actual tool. Feel free to drop into the #writers IRC or PM/email me and ask for assistance with git.

Sirius wrote:Also, the PyPRP version I was using was outdated, which means I had to merge the newest version with my code to make sure I didn't revert anything.

The cleaner way to do that would be to rebase your work on top of it. It places your work as the latest commits, and doesn't leave those extra merge commits which are superfluous and confusing. That makes for much easier code review and a more readable history.

Sirius wrote:That was a bit annoying, but the weirdest thing is, I realized this outdated version was missing some features... which I wrote myself ! Meaning somehow I managed to reinstall an older version of PyPRP after these changes got included in the plugin :shock:

Heh, yeah I've done that before too. ;)

Sirius wrote:BTW, I didn't use the code Deledrius and Hoikas wrote - it's still basically the same, but at some point the AlcScript differs. IIRC, my version is case-sensitive on advance and regress type - I was too lazy modifying it...

When I have more time I'll go back and compare that. Minor stuff like that can be fixed once the main patch is accepted, or even added on as a new commit in the PR!
User avatar
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin
 
Posts: 1107
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:21 pm

Previous

Return to Scripting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron