Camera troubles.

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Camera troubles.

Postby dendwaler » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:53 am

For some reason i can't animate a simple camera the way i want.

In the alcscript i set the flags cutpos and cutpoa.
The (new) camera has a constraint to an animated object in blender.
Then i made the ipo in blender.
When the avatar clicks on the object the object makes its animation and the camera is supposed to follow the animation conform the ipopath as intended.
Whatever i do, halfway its animation the camera turns 180 degrees around the z axis and tries to catch the avatar again, while stil partly following the path.
Howcum? the flags are correctly set.

I wished there was a command like " followlocalobject " instead of " followlocalavatar"

Do you recognize this ? and is there anyone with a solution?
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Re: Camera troubles.

Postby Sirius » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:46 pm

dendwaler wrote:The (new) camera has a constraint to an animated object in blender.
You mean a Blender constraint, in the object panel ?
If that's the case, it probably won't work - PyPRP doesn't support constraints as Plasma has no equivalents for them.
You'd better try animating the camera itself, including a rotation channel.
(If you don't already know it - using Shift-F in camera mode can be quite useful for this)

What Cyan does to do this is animate the "target" point of the camera (it's just like an empty object), but I'm unsure whether it's possible in PyPRP.
Sirius

Postby Doobes » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:01 pm

I'm thinking the camera's region isn't big enough, so once the game's camera leaves it, it snaps back to the default (the avatar).

Maybe try making it big enough to encompass the entire path of the object plus extra?

Also, could you post the AlcScript by chance? Maybe it's something in there?
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby dendwaler » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:52 am

@Sirius

No the constraint is only there to help me to find the right camera position inside blender.
All my camera's have a coupled empty, it is realy convenient in use.
Then i make an ipo for position and rotation , and because pyprp does not support constraints the result follows the path.
Here is an example of the setup including an camera ipo path.

@Doobes.
hmm, the new camera is activated when the avatar enters a region but the animation is not triggered yet.
then the avatar clicks on an object which is only possible if its inside that region.
That triggers ( under more) the camera animation.
it follows the path correct , but also keeps track of the avatar and it should not ., because i want the camera to zoom into a note i left inside a drawer.
The camera returns after a few seconds to its initial position, after you had the chance to read it.
It alll works, only when it zooms to the note the camera also turns 180 degrees unexpected.
The drawer itself is also animated and is used as a constraint to the cam instead of a focuspoint as in the example.
This helps to make me a smooth ipocurve .
The note is actualy nothing more then a texture on the bottom of drawer.
May be i post the script later but the same script also triggers some more things.

thx anyway.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Doobes » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:55 am

Well, not too sure what it might be unless one or more of the keyframes doesn't have the rotational data set along with location, in which case I would assume it defaults back to pointing to the avatar. I'll try doing something similar myself soon to see what results I get. Been meaning to try something like this and it's a perfect excuse. ;)

I'll let you know what I find!
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby cskid13 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:29 am

Actually, I've been wondering, is there an actual camera tutorial that has been confirmed to work? I could only find one that wasn't working for me, though I followed all directions carefully.
cskid13

Return to Scripting