PyPRP exporter update wanted

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

PyPRP exporter update wanted

Postby dendwaler » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:54 am

I would like to see an update on the PyPRP exporter, for Alcscript only, if this is possible.

During implementing puzzles i have to make lots of exports again, to see step by step the results of my newly made alcscript and check it works correct and does not interfere with the already existing scripts.
So in this case there are no additional objects or textures. There is nothing else then changed scripts.
I have to update all the PRP files that are involved and it seems to me that i have to wait unnecessary long for it.
I would like to see an option into the PyPRP exporter named:
Update Alcscripting only.age (on a PRP base because several PRP's can be involved.)

My hope to realize this go to Sirius because he also made the export function: "All as single PRP, per-page textures (.prp)" which became my mostly used option. :D
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Re: PyPRP exporter update wanted

Postby Sirius » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:46 am

Well, although that's an interesting option, I'm afraid that's much too tricky to do... :?
You see, AlcScript isn't like a text property stored somewhere in the PRP. What it does, is tell PyPRP how to create the various objects in the scene.
Updating the AlcScript means PyPRP has to load the previous version of the Age, and overwrite everything except the visuals (which are what is taking so long to compute). This is definitely not easy.
I will have a look, but I think this would require a lot of unsafe modifications to PyPRP.

However, you can use the "All as single PRP" option to export only the logic. Put all the regions, physics and animated visual related to your puzzle on a single page, and export only this page. This way you don't have to re-export the visuals.
(don't forget any object, though - PyPRP can't handle any reference across PRPs, even for object parenting).

Actually, I wonder why PyPRP gets so slow after exporting a few objects. It could be worth checking as well.
All this requires some time though, which I'm currently lacking (I'm nearing the end of my school year, meaning exams to come, work placement, relocating, plan next year, etc - I'm not really used to it :) ).
Sirius

Postby dendwaler » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:46 am

Thx for your fast reply Sirius,
your reply certainly gives me more insight in how the magic works.

Then forget about it , and finish succesfully your school first, thats far more important.
I continue the way i do it now, because as a ritired man i have far more time then you have.
The age is splitted into a lot of prp files now and i have putted the objects that needs logic into the mainroom.prp even if they belong to another page.
Thx for your answer.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:27 pm

If there are no texture changes and your export is taking too long, then your age's geometry is probably not well optimized...
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Return to Scripting