Simple program to make objects move

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Simple program to make objects move

Postby Lontahv » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:37 pm

There is a way to make objects move in the plasma-engine but it is so hard to make your own. The main thing I'm asking for is some 'blank moving object .pak file) that you will be able to use a program to edit it and change: 1. object name to be moved 2. the start and end locations and 3. the speed. I know some python and i think it would be fairly easy. :)
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Re: Simple program to make objects move

Postby Paradox » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:52 pm

Using Python to move object is a really really slow and nasty hack.

We're hoping to have real animations working soon, so hopefully no more evil, jerky Python stuff. :D
Paradox

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:08 pm

So there's no nice little "glRotate()" command (i.e. OpenGL code) you can use to make the skydome turn or anything like that? Ah, a pity...
Jennifer_P

Postby Chacal » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:59 pm

Wasn't there a "warp" command?
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:11 pm

Chacal wrote:Wasn't there a "warp" command?

Yes, there is, but having a smooth animation in Python would really slow down your age due to the inherent slow-ness of the functions involved. The engine has to do a good bit of work to move an object, and it really is much better to use real animations. I would recommend against any such program or pak being used, but knowing how you guys clamor for awesome stuff like animations, I shall simply digress. :P

At any rate, I'll take a gander at animations the next opportunity that I have unless someone else beats me to it.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Aloys » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:26 pm

I agree doing any sort of animation with Python may be a slow and dirty method, but right now it's the only one we have. :)(still I agree it should be a priority in the PyPRP work. Along with sounds and texture animation. p )
Aloys

Return to Scripting