Time to wire - but where to start?

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Re: Time to wire - but where to start?

Postby Sirius » Sun May 03, 2020 3:32 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:The engine does a pretty good job of protecting the artist from him/herself. There are of course still odd cases where things blow up, but I see that even in modern multimillion dollar commercial engines.

Plasma has its share of bugs and issues, but game engines are supposed to be flexible anyway, they can't always prevent you from shooting yourself in the foot. Tools like Korman act as an extra safety net above things like the PRP format, which is good.

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Has anyone else noticed that UE4 likes to crash when you start getting fancy? Or my most recent favorite--pressing certain keys in a certain AAA video production software blows up the whole thing....

Only when you start getting fancy ? Ha ! You should probably try Unity. Last project I created, the lightmapper failed baking even a simple cube... they leave huge bugs like this in official releases every now and then.
I guess this is a problem with any big commercial software though. They have a ton of bugs to fix, are pressured into implementing new features. Anything that isn't deemed critical or is just QOL is skipped in favor of critical bugs and shiny new features you never asked for in the first place.

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Check the blender console window and see if there are any errors. Usually missing UI elements indicate a traceback while Korman is executing.

Can confirm the buttons are there on my version :shrug:

Tsar Hoikas wrote:
diafero wrote:Funny that you should mention that message... for Aclugs we never really figured out what to do with it.

Certain complex multiplayer situations depend on proper locking. https://github.com/H-uru/dirtsand/blob/ ... #L495:L527

So Alcugs doesn't even have proper locking ? :lol: This might explain some of the patches in the Offline-KI...
Sirius

Postby ametist » Sun May 03, 2020 10:10 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:
ametist wrote:I can not export your age, there are no buttons 'Export Age' and 'Package Age' beneath the 'Plasma Games' in 'World' in the properties menu.

Check the blender console window and see if there are any errors. Usually missing UI elements indicate a traceback while Korman is executing.

This:
Attachments
consolwindow.jpg
consolwindow.jpg (27.05 KiB) Viewed 5721 times
ametist

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sun May 03, 2020 11:54 pm

Is the work panel active in that screenshot?
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby ametist » Mon May 04, 2020 10:17 pm

Sorry, my bad, it wasnt. So this is what is says when World panel is Active:
Attachments
consolekormannodes01.jpg
consolekormannodes01.jpg (142.54 KiB) Viewed 5697 times
ametist

Postby Sirius » Tue May 05, 2020 3:08 am

Ah, it appears the fix is very simple. In the "Plasma Games" list, click your "Uru - Complete Chronicles" game. It should be highlighted blue. Move the mouse around and the export buttons should now appear.
The reason this happens is that Hoikas probably has two or more games on his PC - and he probably selected the second game of the list. This was saved in the Blender file, but since you have only one game, this confuses Korman.
Sirius

Postby ametist » Tue May 05, 2020 9:27 am

Yes. it did fix it! A Little 'magic wand' kind of thing :) . I could export but same thing happened - nothing at all.
ametist

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Tue May 05, 2020 7:54 pm

Sirius wrote:Ah, it appears the fix is very simple. In the "Plasma Games" list, click your "Uru - Complete Chronicles" game. It should be highlighted blue. Move the mouse around and the export buttons should now appear.
The reason this happens is that Hoikas probably has two or more games on his PC - and he probably selected the second game of the list. This was saved in the Blender file, but since you have only one game, this confuses Korman.

Precisely. Looks like another bug to fix...

ametist wrote:I could export but same thing happened - nothing at all.

I'm confused -- is the export still not working?
Tsar Hoikas

Postby ametist » Tue May 05, 2020 9:34 pm

Sorry, I was unclear - I could export and link to KormanNodes01, but the spheres in your build did not react on the avatar entering or exiting the region, so both of them were visible.
ametist

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed May 06, 2020 11:06 am

Ok, there are two things that could be causing this. Both of these problems are already fixed in the to-be-released Korman 0.10.

The first thing I would try is applying all transform to the regions.

If and only if that does not fix the issue, examine all objects that have a python file node attached to them. In the path Python file node -> node tree name, object name, there can be no dot "." character. Remove this invalid character.
Tsar Hoikas

Postby ametist » Thu May 07, 2020 5:07 am

Tsar Hoikas wrote:
If and only if that does not fix the issue, examine all objects that have a python file node attached to them. In the path Python file node -> node tree name, object name, there can be no dot "." character. Remove this invalid character.

Applying all transforms to the region didn't fix the problem. So, and bare with me here, how do I get to ' path Python file node' ? Cant find anything like it inside blender? Do I need to use Terminal?

Oh, and just discovered that adding the Journal modifier makes blender to stop exporting, throwing an error message. So maybe its me after all, that have messed something up …

Maybe I should just wait for Korman 0.10 ;)
Attachments
ReportError.jpg
ReportError.jpg (92.06 KiB) Viewed 5642 times
ametist

PreviousNext

Return to Scripting