Korman: Cannot Get Certain Modifiers Working

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Korman: Cannot Get Certain Modifiers Working

Postby JulyForToday » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:29 am

Hi all. Been away for a long time, and I've started poking around with korman for the first time. :)

I'm sure I probably missed something somewhere along the line, but when I export an age into Uru I cannot get certain behaviors added with modifiers to work in Uru.
  • I can get the collision modifier to work for a ground plane/terrain (although it completely doesn't work for dynamic objects like a kickable ball).
  • The spawn point modifier seems to be working correctly.
  • The visibility control/set modifiers work, and I was able to get an envmap working (the dynamic one, very cool btw 8-) )

Aside from those, just about nothing else works for me. I haven't tried everything, but so far I have tried panic links, sound emitters, collision (dynamic). Wasn't having much luck with using nodes to make a clickable either, even though I was following along with the wiki tutorial.

Example
Say if I add a box, and add a panic link modifier to the box.
  • The box has it's scale applied.
  • The plasma object checkbox is ticked.
  • I exported the box without a material.
  • Then I tried it with a material.
  • I even tried flipping the normals.
  • I've tried different bound types.
  • I'ved fiddled with the world settings (like switching to Pack All Scripts, just in case maybe it was related).

Nada. I walk my avatar into the box and nothing happens. The log (verbose) does not seem to indicate any problem during export.
I cannot get it to use the desired behavior.
Kinda out of ideas, short of nuking my blender setup and doing a fresh install of korman.

I followed the Wiki instructions for setting things up. I am running 2.79, korman is installed (correctly as far as I can tell). It's configured for my Uru installation path. Initially I didn't specify a python path (wiki said it was optional). I figured I would add a path to my python (2.2) installation to see if that fixed the problem (it did not).
JulyForToday

Re: Korman: Cannot Get Certain Modifiers Working

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:51 pm

This sounds suspiciously like the physical coordinate system issue I fixed in Korman 0.10. Can you reinstall that version and let us know if it works?
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby JulyForToday » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:50 pm

Hmm. I will give that a try when I'm free and report back.

Although that leads me to another question:
Are there any plans to add a scale modifier to Korman's exporter?
I prefer to do any work in Blender using the metric system. It would be nice to have a field in the exporter that say "scale everything by x amount" much like how the fbx exporter does. (I have to scale and apply manually for anything I already have from preexisting assets and scenes right now)
JulyForToday

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:51 pm

JulyForToday wrote:Are there any plans to add a scale modifier to Korman's exporter?

None at this time--there are so many places that positions are dealt with that implementing such a feature is likely to be too much maintenance effort and fragile.
Tsar Hoikas

Postby JulyForToday » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:11 am

I figured I would ask about the scale modifier. It would be a nice feature to have, but I totally get where you are coming from.

I was in fact using an older version of Korman. I took a look at the installer I had used and it was 0.09. I hadn't gotten around to trying out Korman until the last few days, but I had already installed it a few days prior to your post for 0.10.

I have now gotten the following things to work:
- dynamic collidable objects
- footstep regions
- soft volumes

Also:
- animated uv textures
- animated object motion (for some reason my markers refuse to appear in the animation/loop marker modifiers, but it works anyways -- at least for the single animation I set up)

Still having issues with any kind of clickable:
- tried the linking book template
- tried the journal tutorial
- tried the sitting tutorial
- tried to setup a clickable object to trigger a sound using logic nodes

Nada. Nothing I've done gets a reticle to appear over the clickable item. Still trying to figure out what I might be doing wrong with this.

Btw, I love the lamp flare template, makes it super easy to set one up.

Thanks for making Korman. Even with with my self induced hiccups this is much easier to deal with than alcscript (and the test age button is very nice -- goodbye launcher!) :D
JulyForToday

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:18 pm

The sample Age for cameras has a few journals and clickables that you can examine--you might want to try exporting that Age to make sure they all work as expected.
Tsar Hoikas

Postby JulyForToday » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:43 pm

I didn't think to look at that before since I haven't been very interested in cameras yet. But that sample age was very helpful.

So from looking at that blend file I figured out that what I had been missing was the usage of the Advanced Modifier for the purposes of attaching a node tree to an object.
I looked back at the wiki's page for the Logic Nodes and sure enough I did miss that part (it's at the very bottom).
I would suggest perhaps swapping sections 3 and 4 on that page, so that "Applying the Node Tree" is just under the setup section, instead of hidden after the very large section detailing all the nodes.
Makes it easy to miss all the way down there. ;-)

So I was able to create a clickable button (and make it play a sound or whatever I want logic wise). Nice.
Unfortunately I still cannot get any journals or linking books working. Even the journals in the camera test age didn't work either when I exported it. :(

I did manage to get the sitting behavior working. But I noticed if I used the Avatar Facing option, it refused to work (regardless of the angle I used). I don't know if something similar behind the scenes is happening regarding the journals/books.

Are there any other sample ages I could look at? ( especially any containing more advanced stuff like doors/python scripts/water/subworlds/elevators)
JulyForToday

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:11 am

Assuming you are using the legacy Path of the Shell engine--do you have the latest version of OfflineKI installed? Korman journals on the legacy platform depend on the journal code from the OfflineKI and will not function without it.
Tsar Hoikas

Postby JulyForToday » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:55 pm

I am using Path of the Shell (Uru CC from Steam) -- version 63.12 according to Korman.
I have Drizzle working with my installation, and I have OfflineKI version 3.6.1 working from Drizzle. (seems to work as expected, I get fly mode when I hit escape [and I keep absentmindedly activating it])

The first problem I was having (journals/books not even changing the cursor) was actually my mistake, I didn't have PoTS enabled as an export target on the journal/book modifiers. In my defense Blender's checkboxes are fairly dark :D
Without the export targets enables, I'm assuming that it just wasn't exporting any of that logic, so absolutely nothing was working.
But with them enabled I now can get the cursor to give me the hotspot reticle for journals & books.

Unfortunately if I actually click on them, neither the journal of the book GUI appear. Nothing happens.

Also worth mentioning that my previous mention of Avatar Facing was incorrect. I realized it was actually working, I just misunderstood how it works/what it's for (good for chairs/seats you approach from behind, not benches/seats you approach from the front).
JulyForToday

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:53 am

The latest version of OfflineKI is 3.10.1. Again, please install the latest version of OfflineKI.
Tsar Hoikas

Next

Return to Scripting