Request: Uru Emulator

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Request: Uru Emulator

Postby AtionSong » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:16 am

I'm here venturing into the unfamiliar waters of the Programmers forum to submit a request. I don't expect it to be fulfilled, but I thought I would suggest it just in case some kind soul feels pity for me and want to attempt taking it on.

My request is simple: design an "Uru Emulator" that would allow for the loading and exploration of .age files offline, for those (like me) who don't own the CD version of Uru. I'm not sure if such a program would impede on Cyan's intellectual property, with the use of character animations from Uru or not (or whether that's a grey area with User Created Content).

If anybody has comments about the reality or possibility of this, please post below.
AtionSong

Re: Request: Uru Emulator

Postby Chacal » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:59 pm

Have you tried PrpExplorer? You can use it to fly around Cyan Ages.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:52 pm

If you have a few bucks, you can still pick up the CD at Amazon. Makes a great stocking stuffer! :D
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:13 pm

Actually, this idea has merit because of the many different versions of the Plasma Engine (Uru: ABM, PotS, Live, Myst V). You would easily be able to test an age on practically any version of Plasma (assuming that it's a true emulator). However, the legal reprucussions might be a tad severe... We don't exactly have "public" documentation for Plasma, just stuff that we hack out of files.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Return to Scripting