Fade in and Fade of objects

Help bring our custom Ages to life! Share tips and tricks, as well as code samples with other developers.

Fade in and Fade of objects

Postby Grogyan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:43 pm

I'm currently near the position in my experimental Age, where I need to get the avatar to sit down and have a sphere/cube envelope them, in a very similar way to the finale of Amateria.

Question is, if someone can help, I couldn't find a function that does any sort of fading, what would the code be to get something like a hollow sphere/cube to fade in and fade out at the push of a button, please?

2nd question, when using a clickable region, how does one cause the avatar to execute an animation?

This is part of the experiments I am doing before I get started on my big Age, which could involve having a sphere rolling down some tracks.
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Re: Fade in and Fade of objects

Postby Goofy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:01 pm

for the fade probley going to have to create a script to change the alpha or even a small animation of the sphere fade in and out. On the other question, as far as I know the animation for pressing buttons is default(part of the globle files).
We keep moving forward,
openning up new doors and doing new things,
Because we're curious... and curiosity keeps
leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Goofy

Postby Nadnerb » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:30 pm

Doing this requires animations. First you'll need a layer animation to fade the sphere in, and an avatar animation for sitting down. Perhaps later, even an animation for the ride itself. However, general animations are not something we can create yet. They are being worked on, but none of the tools openly available right now can do what you ask for here. Layer animations for textures may be done very soon, and I don't know about any others.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Goofy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:33 pm

Nadnerb wrote:Doing this requires animations. First you'll need a layer animation to fade the sphere in, and an avatar animation for sitting down. Perhaps later, even an animation for the ride itself. However, general animations are not something we can create yet. They are being worked on, but none of the tools openly available right now can do what you ask for here. Layer animations for textures may be done very soon, and I don't know about any others.

Heh thats the biggest problem with the age I'm trying/wanting to make. It has animation in it. Sit regions being one of them, but atleast I can make sure the models are good(textures and such).
We keep moving forward,
openning up new doors and doing new things,
Because we're curious... and curiosity keeps
leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Goofy

Postby Grogyan » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:20 pm

I was under the impression that clicking on a bench was part of the clickable region with a flag that invokes an animation or sequence of events.

Ok, thanks for that, at least I can continue with some texturing experiments with transparent textures, now that the plugin supports z buffering, i'll have to a search for what that process was.
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby Aloys » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Unfortunately it appears triggering simple avatar animations like linking, or sitting, or pulling a lever, is actually pretty complex.. and so it's not something we can do right now. (I'm pretty sure if we had sit regions they'd be all over the Ages.)
Aloys

Postby Chacal » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:37 pm

But ladder climbing works. I wonder why those are so different.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Nadnerb » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:51 am

because ladders are a built-in feature of the engine, like walking, and swimming. The sitting animations are just that, animations, triggered by a tagged clickable object. They all seem to use the same global animation though, so it's possible that with a bit of python, you could trigger that. It would not be 'nice' though. ;)
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Chacal » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:25 pm

Ah yes that's true, climbing and swimming are automatically triggered by entering a region.
I can only suggest studying Cyan Ages through Blender and PrpExplorer.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Return to Scripting