Lattice - Expert advice needed

Role Playing forum for all Age Writers. Tell your own story here!

Lattice - Expert advice needed

Postby GPNMilano » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:57 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to hack into the Lattice and GZ coordinates for a specific place within the Cavern? I recently found a journal that has a specific KI coordinate noted for a undiscovered District within the cavern. I've found a neighborhood district before. Those seem to be pretty common. But the journal indicates that this particular district, Gah'cen, was used as a sort of entertainment plaza within D'ni. Since, I don't think, anyone's discovered anything like this before within the cavern. I was hoping to see if I couldn't track down it's location to document it.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Re: Lattice - Expert advice needed

Postby Lontahv » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:18 pm

Your best bet is to find the lattice and try to open some kind of terminal. I'm not sure if its location is known, though. Laxman seems to know where it is, but he's usually fairly tight-lipped about this sort of thing.
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Wamduskasapa » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:50 pm

Shucks - There is one Relto that we all have access to. Since Phil is deceased why doesn't someone attempt to gain access to his old Link Books. I have noticed that many of the spines on his collection matches none of ours. Since he was a very curious explorer and a competent anthropologist it just might be possible he has already located this missing age...
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Tweek » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:30 pm

IIRC the lattice was an unopened part of the nexus.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby kaelisebonrai » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:50 pm

Wamduskasapa wrote:Shucks - There is one Relto that we all have access to. Since Phil is deceased why doesn't someone attempt to gain access to his old Link Books. I have noticed that many of the spines on his collection matches none of ours. Since he was a very curious explorer and a competent anthropologist it just might be possible he has already located this missing age...

Phil is still alive, not quite the same as he used to be, but, very much alive.

Also, you /might/ be able to hack your KI to get the nexus to display it, if it was in the Nexus, at least.

After all, according to the DRC notebooks, the nexus was only an interpreter for KI data. Its a long shot, though. You might have to do it the hard way - Travel there yourself. On foot/by boat.
kaelisebonrai

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:58 am

That sounds like an exciting discovery, GPNMilano!

Without a linking book to insert into the Nexus, I agree with kaelisebonrai - by foot or boat is your only way there. To help navigate, you could occasionally place a GZ marker. The marker's default name will tell you the coordinates. At least you won't risk "voiding the warranty" on your KI this way.

Let us know once you get closer - send us some KI shots!
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby GPNMilano » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:32 pm

What Kaelis suggested was pretty much what I was hoping to go with. Was hoping that Gah'cen/Gahcen, had a nexus terminal there that I could somehow figure out how to hack a book into the Nexus without actually using the terminal itself to put it there. Though worse come to worse, I guess I could pump up that old inflatable raft in my office crate and use that to get there.
GPNMilano

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:58 am

I've been thinking about those Nexus terminals in the city and in K'Veer... Each of those must somehow encode their KI coordinates and send that signal to the KI (via wireless signal or electromagnetic induction) to activate a linking book in the Nexus.

Maybe you can crack open a non-functional terminal (such as the one in Descent) and see how the coordinates are hard-wired inside. Once you figure that out, rewire a working City terminal (in your private instance, of course) to transmit Gahcen's coorindates. Then pass your KI through the terminal and see what shows up in the Nexus.

If you don't want to hack a working terminal, you could try to emulate a similar wireless/magnetic transmission as the terminal, but you'd have to decode the transmission first.

Of course, you could still inflate your raft if you wish...;-)

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby GPNMilano » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:37 am

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:Maybe you can crack open a non-functional terminal (such as the one in Descent) and see how the coordinates are hard-wired inside. Once you figure that out, rewire a working City terminal (in your private instance, of course) to transmit Gahcen's coorindates. Then pass your KI through the terminal and see what shows up in the Nexus

That sounds like an interesting idea Robert. I know there's two terminals in Dorehn that I've been trying to get working, but Diafero needs to program the Nexus for their use I think. While I'm waiting on him to do that I suppose I couldn't see about rewiring one of those for access to Gahcen.

On a side note I did find out some more information about Gahcen in general. Apparently a D'ni ball game was played in a stadium there. Still trying to track down the name of the game itself, but apparently it was a very simple game similar to soccer. Two teams of players, with two-four players on each team played. There was a single ball, and in the early days the object of the game was to keep the ball in play the longest, using only your feet and body. Sensors along the perimiter of the court tracked the ball and the longer your team kept the ball in play, the higher your score was. Later on the game was updated and four "goals" were fixed into the sides of the playing field. One near each corner of the field, one being your goal, the other being your opponents. The object then became to get your ball into one of your opposing team mates two goals the most.

A recreational heek gaming center was also located in Gahcen, as a means of keeping people busy during breaks in the game, and before and after the game started.
GPNMilano

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:44 am

Interesting. Perhaps the D'ni Linguists Guild could help with locating and translating the name of that ball game.

Did the D'ni gamble on these games (like they did on the races in the Kahlo pub)?

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Return to Role Playing