The Books left behind and Writer's resources

Discuss issues with role playing age creation. What are some sticky points that must be overcome? How will certain processes translate to RP?

The Books left behind and Writer's resources

Postby Jadawin12 » Sun May 02, 2010 10:28 am

So I've been thinking about this for a while and I was thinking of what would be some of the resources left behind for the GoW other than the Rehevekor.

First there arethe resources we know we have, the linking Books in our Relto's and in the City, They may not have a layout of entire Ages but they may have pieces that would be useful to us... like training wheels.

Secondly while I know that the Myst books are not entirely canon in the very first book it mentions that there are copies of the Descriptive Book of Earth. I would imagine that if we found one of these it would be immensly helpful to us because unlike any other Age we Humans have been studying our world for thousands of years, we should have a better grasp on it than any other Age and so should be able to understand the structure of that Descriptive Book faster than others.

Thirdly discovered Descriptive Books, this one in my opinion may be difficult, it seems to me that for the most part D'ni was largely cleaned out of Ages, after the D'ni people left for Reeleeshan. Leaving (and this is my guess) only three groups of Books.

1. Some left behind. While the D'ni were thorough I see no reason why .01 percent of the 10,000 Books they once had could not have been left behind or overlooked.

2. Illicit Books. Unstable, flawed, illegal Books hidden throughout the City. The D'ni wouldn't have been looking for them as they left meaning there could be bunches hidden all around the city, possibly more than were left behind. Some could even be thousands of years of and forgotten but the Earthquakes opened their 'tombs'

3. The Tomb of the Great King,I suspect the D'ni left these behind, I also suspect the DRC has claims to all of these Books (If Pento is any indication)

So these are my thoughs make of them as you will I hope they helped.
Thelonius "Prof" Higginsbottom
KI: 01632887
Jadawin12

Re: The Books left behind and Writer's resources

Postby Aloys » Sun May 02, 2010 11:04 am

You are leaving out an important ressource: the books that could have been used by the D'ni Writers to teach the Art to young Guild apprentices. Surely a craft as complex as the Art was no carried only through oral tradition.
According to the IC backstory we agreed on for the IC site that's what makes most of our learning basis. I agree actual descriptive Books are a necessity; but a book that actually explains how descriptive works is even better.

It would be fun to create a list of Books we studied, but it could also be risky..
Aloys

Postby Jadawin12 » Sun May 02, 2010 7:44 pm

How about a pop up children's book. The Book of Ti'ana says they had them. :D
Jadawin12

Postby Jojon » Tue May 04, 2010 1:09 pm

I'm kind of curious about Calam's dozen of books... :7

http://home.earthlink.net/~seizuretown/ ... /BC07E.jpg
Jojon

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue May 04, 2010 5:29 pm

The circular arrangement of those 12 books look familiar. Say... you don't think Calam was the one who added the 12 sparklies to the ages, do you? :lol:
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Trylon » Tue May 04, 2010 10:50 pm

Aloys wrote:You are leaving out an important ressource: the books that could have been used by the D'ni Writers to teach the Art to young Guild apprentices. Surely a craft as complex as the Art was no carried only through oral tradition.
According to the IC backstory we agreed on for the IC site that's what makes most of our learning basis. I agree actual descriptive Books are a necessity; but a book that actually explains how descriptive works is even better.

It would be fun to create a list of Books we studied, but it could also be risky..

And nobility was allowed to write as well (Aitrus). Unless they needed to follow a course in Writing at the Writers Guild, (and even if they did) they would surely have guidebooks. They'd need to
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Jadawin12 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:16 am

I would love Access to Calam's books...Don't think it's going to happen any time soon.

I was under the impression that every D'ni Citizen knew how to Write, but only the finest of them became part of the Writer's Guild.

Another thing we may want to think about is that we could come accross unfinished D'ni Books that we could, (if we chose) either use as references or try and finish ourselves...

Just a thought

Edit: Just a note I really love that my little post was split into the IC section, Thanks guys and gals!
Jadawin12

Postby Tweek » Wed May 05, 2010 12:40 pm

Actually this thread is perfect as it ties in nicely with the Guild of Writers learning Age I've been building.

I planned to have a selection of books that people can read (and some they can't like ones containing Garohevtee or something), and suggestions for these would be most welcome.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Jojon » Wed May 05, 2010 1:11 pm

I suppose there would likely be an extensive collection of students' scrap books (nomenclature?), where they'd develop/prototype their age descriptions, before committing them to actual gahrohevtee, using "real" books and ink. These would also likely contain the student's declaration of intent with the age, as well as commentary from tutors, in the margin/footer/reserved_space and be kept as examples for future students *and* they were probably "beneath the notice" of the raiding A'Gaeris and Veovis.
Jojon

Postby Jadawin12 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:21 pm

Tweek wrote:Actually this thread is perfect as it ties in nicely with the Guild of Writers learning Age I've been building.

I planned to have a selection of books that people can read (and some they can't like ones containing Garohevtee or something), and suggestions for these would be most welcome.

Well I'm just happy to help!

Speaking of helping, I have an idea that might be a bit of a cop out but why don't we to some degree use excepts form the Journals in the games? (I know they aren't completely Canon but still)

For example we could have a book called "Writing objects into your book"

And then use snippets from:

Myst: With the Stoneship Age
Riven: With the Daggers
Myst 4: With the Nara chambers
etc.

And under each of these snippets have little wrtings saying how these effects turned out as well as potential benefits and flaws of these methods, maybe have it reference another book called "Little Changes, New worlds: How altering text can affect your Book"

The Reeleeshan Journal from Myst III would be another great text to use or convert for the School.

Hope that helped
Jadawin12

Next

Return to RP Planning