Explorer Restoration Center

Museum Age for Explorer Created work

Moderator: ERC Age Team

Explorer Restoration Center

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:49 pm

Monkeyboy's original posts, edited heavily:
The cone would be all glass. The funnel (the top funnel can be removed if not liked) I was thinking was of stained glass, or maybe of a mica-like material. Below that would be some sort of plant life. Plants abound inside and outside. From the link-in spot (the cone) the rest of the museum curves around the cone and one can enter either through a door or they walk down steps into a tunnel then back up to the Main portion of the ERC. The front that curves around the cone is all glass. The top floor of the ERC is all glass so one can view the outside age. The top floor would be left for music displays. So, one would touch a music player and music would flood the area while one looked at the view of the Age from above. The only fully glass structure would be the Cone and the only art that would be in there would be the stained glass funnel. The main part of the museum would be built with brick or some other non-see thru material except the part that encompasses the Cone. That would be glass so one could see the cone from various heights and possible even see the garden. The other glass part would be for the top floor and that would hold music restorations exclusively. So there would not be any visual arts on the glass walls.

Monkeyboy's concept art:
Show Spoiler

Ruvinka's overview:
Show Spoiler

More info: the outside environment of the Age is jungly, rugged and steep; it is possible to look down into the valley below for a beautiful view. Outside the museums would be the oriental-flavored rock gardens along with any sculptures to display.

Okay, so we've got a rough conceptual idea of what this place looks like. Now we need to make some more detailed, decorative concept art of the restoration center exterior, in color. We also need to make some concept art of the plants that we'll be using in the jungle, (at last, something to do for modeling, eh Tinuviel? :D ).
In terms of the Age's look, what should we use for weather--(the choices are pretty much limited to sunny, cloudy, or misty)? And what time of day would you guys prefer to set the Age at?
Last edited by Jennifer_P on Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jennifer_P

Re: Explorer Restoration Center

Postby Ruvinka » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:33 pm

Sunny would probably showcase the art better, but I've always loved the moods mists create.
I'm going to be working on some more concept sketches of detailed areas like the outdoor scuplture areas and overlooks.
I'll do some colour tests too maybe and see what combonations might be interesting.
Ruvinka

Postby Chacal » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:05 pm

I'm lost. This thread needs an intro.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Owehn » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:32 pm

I gather it's some sort of museum to house sculptures and things.
Owehn

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:49 pm

You've pretty much got it Owehn; the ERC is sort of a museum to store explorers' creative work in. So if someone made a piece of art, music, or literature and they wanted to display it to the public, it could be put into the restoration center to be displayed for people to enjoy inside the game, not just on the web. We [SR] figured people would probably like that. :)

Sunny would probably showcase the art better, but I've always loved the moods mists create.

Well, the indoor art wouldn't care what it looked like outside, but exterior designs probably would benefit from a less diffuse light source, since then we'd get some pretty shadows on them. I do think that myst would be one of my favorite atmospheres though; I've always loved peering down into a valley and seeing flat white clouds floating in the bottom as if the valley were flooded with milk. Add a light, low mist to the rest of the picture, and I'd be entranced by it all.
I'm going to be working on some more concept sketches of detailed areas like the outdoor scuplture areas and overlooks. I'll do some colour tests too maybe and see what combonations might be interesting.

Just keep the sculpture areas visually isolated from each other; I think that we can't have many together in sight of each other, since they may use too many vertices and cause lag for slow computers if they are too complex.

By the way, what would you guys think about adding a Japanese influence to the exterior of the restoration center? It would even make sense, if Kimiko's mentor was one of the major funders... :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Ruvinka » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:55 pm

I know what Kimiko would say...
Hai! That would be most agreeable.

The two (possibly 3) areas I had originaly sketched should be far enough from each other to be both aestheticaly pleasing as well as verticies saving -eek did I hack that?- There is a sculptural area halfway to the overlook area that has some trees and vegetation and there is the overlook sculptural area near the edge of the valley wall. There is at least one other place outdoor sculptures could go on the map that would balance... and then there's the back side of the Explorer's Restoration Center which could be reserved for something really special.
Ruvinka

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:39 pm

I know what Kimiko would say...
Hai! That would be most agreeable.

Just out of curiousity, I thought that "Hai!" was used in the army as "Yes sir!"? Or is it used in everyday situations too?

The two (possibly 3) areas I had originaly sketched should be far enough from each other to be both aestheticaly pleasing as well as verticies saving -eek did I hack that?- There is a sculptural area halfway to the overlook area that has some trees and vegetation and there is the overlook sculptural area near the edge of the valley wall. There is at least one other place outdoor sculptures could go on the map that would balance... and then there's the back side of the Explorer's Restoration Center which could be reserved for something really special.

That sounds good, I think (I'm not quite certain what places you're referring too, I'd have to see it on the map). And I'll start working on some plant concepts for the jungle. :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Atheni33 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:16 am

It is so exciting to hear SR is creating their own age! I am working on a similar idea for Ahra Pahts, a large contemporary gallery/museum that will be partially submerged under water ...you can never have to many galleries. :lol: But when your done I would like to submit my Laki' ahn warrior mask I started a few months ago for your age, I am hoping you will reserve some space for me. :)
Atheni33

Postby Ruvinka » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:19 am

Just out of curiousity, I thought that "Hai!" was used in the army as "Yes sir!"? Or is it used in everyday situations too?
I am not an expert by any means, but I do believe that any situation where a passionate or definative Yes! would be used is appropriate for hai. I've heard much more often a (unsure of spelling so I'm using a phoenetic) haugh in response to military orders. It could be that hai is much more casual where the other is either more formal or more submissive. That language is quite complicated with many social rules and structures. I've only now begun to make much sense of it :roll:

But when your done I would like to submit my Laki' ahn warrior mask I started a few months ago for your age, I am hoping you will reserve some space for me
You betcha!! I am really anxious to see your mask actually... been thinking of it a lot.
Ruvinka

Postby Monkeyboy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:22 am

Here are a couple of nice images of valleys we might be interested in using as an example. Image

I really like this one. Might be neat to look over at when on the top floor listening to some of Turjan's music (that is if he is willing to share).

Monkeyboy

Next

Return to ERC Age