Animated Texturing

Moderators: Trylon, Paradox

Animated Texturing

Postby Paradox » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:12 am

Okay, as of now, in the SVN there is support for simple scrolling textures. Scaling, opacity, and other options will hopefully be coming in the future.

A few things to note:
All animation loop repeatedly. Try to make sure that the texture in your last frame looks the same as in your first frame so that the transition will be seamless.
Animating stencils, decals, or alpha blending layers has not been tested. It's possible that flags will get overwritten when animating and that the desired effect will be diminished. If you do try it though, let us know what happens :P
Animation is done of a per-layer basis.

When you open an IPO Curve editor window in Blender and select Material from the list at the bottom, there is a little box beside the dropdown list with a number inside. That number is the current layer. The first texture is layer 0, the second texture is layer 1, etc.
The layers are in the same order as the textures that are specified for the material.

Currently, any layer that has any form of translational IPO curve is exported as a layer animation. At this time, only the Ofs (translational) curves will actually end up in the .prp file at export.

Please report any bugs, and have fun :D
Paradox

Re: Animated Texturing

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:51 am

Wonderful news, Paradox!

Do you think this will finally warrant a new PyPRP version/release? Not everybody has the ability to access SVN.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Paradox » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:17 pm

There is public read access to the SVN, so everyone should be able to checkout the trunk if they want it.

I'm going to double check that everything else is still working and talk to Trylon to make sure that everything is committed before we wrap up another release.
Paradox

Postby Aloys » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:39 pm

This is great! That means we'll be able to make animated water! :D Thank you!
I had secretely hoped it wouldn't use Blender's interface for animation, but ah well.. I guess we'll have to learn it.. :) (I don't know a thing about animation :cry: )
Aloys

Return to Scripting Journal