WIP: Age 2 - Eh'ko

Show us what you can do! Let us know how you did it!

Re: WIP: Age 2 - Eh'ko

Postby D'eux » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:52 am

Yea, don't give up on AP. It's a great achievement and all it needs now is for the community to bring the life to it that it deserves. Btw, nice website for it too.

All of the textures, including the soft shadows in Eh'ko are hand painted, so no they aren't actually 'baked' per se. I have several techniques I'm experimenting with to bring Eh'ko and also my Shell to life, so I'm going to be just as interested I think to see how they develop too :)

-: D'eux :-
| Ki# 4586709 | Book of D'eux |
D'eux

Postby D'eux » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:30 am

I've finally managed to write a couple more changes into Eh'ko, including it's own background music and sound and full environmental reflections. Three rotating stone 'pods' are in place waiting for completion into some sort of puzzle and there is also this rather unusual tree-house:

Show Spoiler

Show Spoiler

Show Spoiler

D'eux

Postby greendragoon » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:44 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ....huh, WOW! :shock:

You have a real talent for bringing your vision to life. I won't ask when your planning an age release, because I couldn't answer the same question about my work, but if you had to give a percentage, how far along would you say you are to your first release? :)
Robert "greendragoon" Starbuck
As Long as there is MORE,
I will explore.
And as long as my Relto shelf is unfilled,
I will build.
greendragoon

Location: Stuck in Indiana because the cavern door is locked.

Postby D'eux » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:01 am

Percentage complete? That's a hard one :? I really don't know, because I tend to focus on the detail and that means it'll probably never be complete :)
But if I had to hazard a guess at an 'explorable' release, I'd say I'm currently around 20-25%. It all depends whether I expand the Age outside of it's current bounds or not I suppose. Not really sure.

D'eux

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:27 pm

Fantastic, D'eux! I especially like the reflection environment mapping. Was it based off a Blender render, or a previously acquired in-game screenshot?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby andylegate » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:04 pm

yes that is a very good job on the reflection in the pool of water. Can you post other screen shots from different angles for it? Would love to see more of it.

Also, can we possibly get a screen shot with an avie by the tree? It would be neat to see the size comparison.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Yali » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:13 pm

I Love You.

/Me has the Riven chills all over.

Somehow, looking at this Age, I can't help feel somewhat liberated and excited at the prospect of Uru continuing in the hands of the community. As much as I love Cyan, this community has always had a knack for creating content that has Myst written all over it, as well as offering something new and refreshing at every turn.

Great work! I hope to see more soon!
Yali

Postby Lontahv » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:26 pm

Looks great. Better than some of the Cyan stuff even. :)

Does it use lots of Ray-Traced baking?

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Nadnerb » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:21 pm

from the looks of it, I'd say it's probably dynamically lit, or at least vertex-lit, and done very well. There is one visible shadow though, so a combination of whatever fit the details probably wins.

The age looks like it would work well with fully dynamic lighting though, and if you do end up doing that, once we get animated objects/lamps you could have a nice day-night cycle. :D
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby D'eux » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:06 am

I especially like the reflection environment mapping. Was it based off a Blender render, or a previously acquired in-game screenshot?

The reflection mapping is just a normal, Blender generated environment map, nothing fancy.
Can you post other screen shots from different angles for it? Would love to see more of it.
Also, can we possibly get a screen shot with an avie by the tree? It would be neat to see the size comparison.

Don't see why not...
Does it use lots of Ray-Traced baking?

No it doesn't and that's the reason my Age writing takes so long is because all the textures are hand created and painted, including the shadows.
/Me has the Riven chills all over.

I won't deny that I my design career was greatly inspired by both 'Myst' and 'Riven' and yes, there's something of a little tribute to them in this Age ;)
once we get animated objects/lamps you could have a nice day-night cycle.

Now that would be a nice addition! :)

D'eux

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Showcase