One Uru Forum

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

One Uru Forum

Postby Nek'rahm » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:19 pm

http://s9.invisionfree.com/One_Uru/index.php

Me and DaVinci worked on this little forum. In essence, it's supposed to act, in time, like how the UruGuilds forum did. It'll be a hub of all information concerning Uru and what's going on with Cyan, Myst and Uru. The forum's open right now. DaVinci put a lot of work into it, we hope you like it.

We're also wondering if the Guild of Writers would support us in this project. Not like watching over the forums support, just being interested in what's going on and willing to help people out in the forums. If you guys don't mind supporting us, the Guild of Writers will have a forum thread about themselves, where any information about the GoW can be placed. This ranges from current projects, to helpful web addresses, to programs for building your own Ages. Really, if you guys support us, you can do whatever you choose with this forum thread.

We hope you guys will support us with One Uru in the future, and now if it's possible :D.

~Nek'rahm

EDIT: We're going to come to the other Guilds with this information and hopeful question as well. We just figured we should start with the Writers because 1) we're both Writers ourselves and 2) you're one of the Major Guilds and if you support us it could send a big message out to the Uru Community :)
Nek'rahm

Re: One Uru Forum

Postby andylegate » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:35 pm

:scratching head here:

I thought the Guild of Messengers was working, in colaboration with the Guild Newsletter, and also trying to act as a hub for one stop place for info. Is this something that you're working in conjunction with them?
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby L. DaVinci » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:48 pm

As far as I know, I don't think it is in conjunction with any of the guilds. I've merely been doing the artwork skinning for the forum. When I first signed on to help make the forum skin, I thought it was a forum that was being created to bring all the guilds together onto a single forum. Personally, with Uru coming to a close soon, that seems to be a good idea. Only time will tell I suppose. That is the way of things in life.

DaVinci.
L. DaVinci

Postby Nek'rahm » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:59 pm

I wasn't aware of any of this activity...

Which is odd since I've been checking every Guild forum nearly every day...

Peculiar... I should give them a call :S I've already posted this on DRC forums too... so if Messengers are doing something, they're doing it relatively quietly XD. Andy, do you have a Link to any information concerning their project?
Nek'rahm

Postby pappou » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:47 pm

Its an exciting design, Nek'rahm and Leo. Looking through the text panes at the oasis of Revelation makes me want to go back and get bonked on the head again – just to get the drama rollin' one more time. I haven't seen how many scene changes you have, but they are looking superb.

However, i can't read a lot of the text – blue on blue is mysterious, to be sure, but it creates more ambiguities than i can handle at the moment. Have you experimented with a constant color behind the text (just the width of the margins and perhaps 50% transparency?).

I have no idea how redundant your information itself may be; it is bound to seem redundant considering you are using mostly second hand information (having usually appeared in some other forum). I hope you can work out a deal with Maintainers.

PS Edit: I just caught Greendragon's notion of previewing all the unfinished work in the cellar. Maybe you guys could team up: Produce a video or two and plow through the journals uncovering all those little creations with pics and stories – many of which may never see the light of day otherwise.
Really; this would be the only way that much of this inventive stuff will ever be seen.
If you could work out a deal with the Maintainers (who are not into the style of journalistic exposure you guys can give) – if you and they get together, i can't see that your work would be stepping on their toes, yet the both of you would not be pulling the cart in different directions.
pappou
pappou

Postby Chacal » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:10 am

This is nice work, guys. I haven't had time for a serious visit yet, so I don't have a definite opinion about content, purpose and effectiveness.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby D'Lanor » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:31 am

Sometimes it is better to tell the truth. So I am not going to try being nice here.

• The design leaves a lot to be desired. A complex background image is really a bad idea for a forum. It makes whatever is in front hard to see and navigate.
  • If you really must include a background image, please make in seamless so that it looks good in different resolutions.
  • And then there is of course the eternal question: do we really need yet another forum?
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Nek'rahm » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:20 am

Fair enough D'Lanor :)

1) The backgrounds are a nice idea, but as it is said on the forums, we are still working with tons of different ideas to see if we find something that works. For all we know, this could be temporary.
2) The resolution problems (ex. Desktop vs Laptop) is confusing for both of us. I noticed it a while back, but we're having difficulties changing it, even with the right CSS commands...
3) I dunno, do we need the GoW forum? How bout Uru Obsession forum? Or DRCSITE.org for that matter? It's not my place to really judge if we need one, but build it up with information and see if the public views it as a good idea. If not, we make changes or drop the project and give the forum away.
Nek'rahm

Postby D'Lanor » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:16 am

No, we do not need this forum either. I was against the GoW forum from the start.

I still believe guild forums belong on the MOUL forums, but Cyan apparently did not want to implement a proper structure for guilds there. It felt like a missed chance at the time. In retrospect I am sure we could think of a few reasons there might have been to drop that.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Nek'rahm » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:24 am

As you say, you wanted everything to be in the MOUL forum, right? Well, One Uru is supposed to be a place for all the information from the Guilds to be listed. Also, the Guilds can converse with eachother on the site if they have anything they want to talk about or any plans they'd like to make with eachother. Makes it much simpler than having to check 3 different forums for information.

Well, anyway, do you guys like it so far?
Nek'rahm

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion