Question about plugin 1.3.1

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Question about plugin 1.3.1

Postby andylegate » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:52 am

Hey guys,

Got a question here. I was wondering if there has been enough fixes to the 1.3.0 version of the plugin to go ahead and zip it up and put out a 1.3.1 bug fix version.

I'm using the latest from the svn folder, and everything seems to be working fine, or at least as everything is intended so far:

Animated textures work (but still contain some mysteries :D )
We got clickable sounds to work, at least a shorter version
Softvolumes are working, and avatar shadows are working also.
Majorly sounds are working just fine with the plugin from the svn folder.

The reason I'm asking is that I've received PM's from people that have been keeping an eye on the forum, and are kind of scared to death to download the 1.3.0 version and install it. They've also been asking me when the next version is coming out with the fixes (don't ask me why they're asking me...... :? ).

Now, I know that any fixes take a while to work bugs out, test them over and over, etc. But I can tell you that what is in the SVN right now has been.....tested quite well by my Age that I'm working on, and by others that I have zipped up the plugin and sent them it.

What would it take to get a 1.3.1 version released? And is there anything I could do to help speed up the process a little for this at least?
If there's a big problem that I'm not aware of, just hand me a cookie and I'll tell everyone that they need to wait, but will post my zipped plugin for them to use in the mean time (as we know that animated textures, sounds, softvolumes, etc are working with it).
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Re: Question about plugin 1.3.1

Postby D'Lanor » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:15 pm

I know it can be scary to see your age broken by an upgrade. But you cannot have progress without taking risks. This thing isn't going to be stable as long as new features are being added continuously.

My guess is that they made a stable 0.5 version a while back because they were rewriting the whole plugin and there had to be something to fall back upon. That situation does not exists now.

The 1.3.0 version was pretty much a snapshot. As is the version you will find in the trunk today.

That being said, the SVN trunk has been pretty solid for me lately, although I cannot vouch for today's update which I haven't tried yet. You could grab that, test it for functionality and zip it up. I think that is all that is needed for a "release" at this time.

The best advice I can give anyone is to always backup your scripts folder when upgrading so that you can go back in case anything goes terribly wrong.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby andylegate » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:07 pm

I do that every single time. I have a folder called "GoW Plugins" and I have a zipped file of each version that's been released. I have another folder that says SVN and I'm using them. I even have one called Alcugs, the first plugin I had 0.5.

I'll wait and see what the Devs say of course, but if they feel it's going to be a while I can post my plugin as a zip file for anyone that wants animated textures, and working sounds, etc, with the disclaimer that they need to back up their original plugin first, and to be on the look out for the official GoW plugin 1.3.x
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Paradox » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:23 pm

Paradox

Return to Plasma Development