Exploring MO:UL Offline

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Exploring MO:UL Offline

Postby MustardJeep » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:37 pm

This does bring up a few existential questions for me:

1. How far could this be taken?

2. What are the differences between Plasma 1 and 2?

3. Why was Cyan so interested in moving the Uru engine over to Plasma 2?

4. If this can be done, what's to stop us from doing the same thing with the Myst 5 ages?

This tool could be taken fairly far, it hands the keys to the MO:UL kingdom over to anyone that wants them with little to no knowledge needed. So far Cyan hasn't said one thing or another about this going on so I am crossing my fingers that they are looking on this the way I am.

"The Care and feeding of Uru" Remember that line?

If the best possible things all happen in a nice neat little row Cyan will need people that are already passing familiar with the basic changes between Uru:CC and MO:UL. If all the things that need to happen to get a "official" server running again don't happen Cyan is really no worse off letting people play with the MO:UL files then they were when they chose to "ignore" the Uru:CC hacking as long as it stayed offline.

But however it goes I would love to see the possibility of merging URU:CC, EoA, and MO:UL into one game as that is probably as near as we will get to what Season Two should have had. :roll: :cry: <Shrug>
MustardJeep

Postby ddb174 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:03 am

Well then, it works with Pots, CC, WinXP, Vista, ULM, UAM, flymode, manual, and automatic!

To control the seasons in Delin, perform actions in Jalak, summon an Urwin in Negilahn, etc. use the letter keys. Just as "Shift-letter" links you to an Age, "Ctrl-letter" opens a journal, and "letter" performs an action. They should be listed in the readme.

I also think that the ladders are the most noticeable shortcoming, as I would like to be able to get everywhere without using flymode.

The biggest differences between the engine in Pots and Moul are animations and the physics simulator(there is also networking changes, but they don't really affect this). I imagine that the changes were just due to fixing things up and adding features for Myst5, and the engine for Moul is a continuation of the engine for Myst5. An exception is the physics changes, where they just used their homebrew one for Myst5, and presumably for licensing reasons, switched from Havok to PhysX.

Nothing is stopping us from doing the same with Myst5 Ages, although I'm personally not as interested, because I'm coming from a different angle: I'm not so concerned about playing these online, as I am about being able to play them offline. There is an implicit assertion with (proprietary) online software: you are merely renting it, it is not available for purchase, and you have no say in the matter. The masters will decide when, how, and for how long you may use it. This continual source of revenue and control is extremely appealing to businesses.
ddb174

Postby Gabriel » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:16 am

ddb174 wrote:That's great, Gabriel! I hope it all goes smoothly.

Nek'rahm: Do you have Path of the Shell or Complete Chronicles? Was this a clean installation, or had it been used? If it had been used, did you have flymode or UAM or ULM installed? During the installation of this package, did you manually copy it or use install.bat? Did you test the game before installing this package? What operating system are you using?

More information on my (Gabriel), installation which is working fine.

Vista Premium on Intel iMac.

Backed up /sav.
Started with completed POTS, ULM installed (10 books), and original fly mode patch.
Elected to use install.bat to install.
Ran game once.
Ran SoundDecompress
Finally installed the nocdpatch.

Continues to work smoothly :) .
Gabriel

Postby ddb174 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:15 am

Thanks for the info! It really is quite useful.

By the way, for those who want to tinker, I've put up a description of the pythoncommand.txt file on the Alcugs wiki. It lays out the purpose of all the functions. Most of the custom python work goes on in this plain-text file, which is dynamically executed at certain times(linking to an Age, pressing certain keys, etc). In fact, the rest of the Python is really just flymode and making this file work.
ddb174

Postby Nek'rahm » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:50 am

yo ddb,

when I tried the automatic install, it said it was looking for my PotS folder. Then it said it couldn't find it and told me to manually install.

What could've caused this?
Nek'rahm

Postby ddb174 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:53 am

It simply looks for it in the usual places: (e.g. c:\program files\ubi soft\cyan worlds\uru - ages beyond myst ). If it isn't installed in any of those locations, it doesn't find it. If you edit the install.bat file, you'll see where it looks. You could try moving your installation there, or reinstalling uru there.
ddb174

Postby Nek'rahm » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:12 am

but that's exactly where I placed it o-o

C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\Cyan Worlds\Uru Complete Chronicles

o-o?
Nek'rahm

Postby ddb174 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:20 am

Is it installed in 'Uru Complete Chronicles' or 'Uru - Complete Chronicles'?
ddb174

Postby ddb174 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:32 am

Actually, it's probably easiest if you open a command prompt (Start->Run->"CMD"), and type the following:
Code: Select all
dir /s "c:\program files\ubi soft\cyan worlds\*.*" > ddb174.txt

Make sure that every character is typed correctly.
Then attach the file ddb174.txt.
ddb174

Postby Nek'rahm » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:51 am

It's in:

Myst Uru Complete Chronicles
Nek'rahm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion