WIP: Age 2 - Eh'ko

Show us what you can do! Let us know how you did it!

Re: WIP: Age 2 - Eh'ko

Postby Aloys » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:16 pm

Great work D'eux! That little Age start to have so nice vibes going. :)
I love the overall soft atmosphere you give it, both in the lighting, but also the modelling, the smooth organic look works really well.

Do you have some kind of background for it? Or maybe puzzles? Those 3 (4?) small seemingly identical rocks are intriguing.
Aloys

Postby Lontahv » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:29 pm

How big is the file size for this place so far? :)

Just curious because you implied that not much is re-used or tiled, when it come to textures.

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Tyion » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:42 pm

Aloys wrote:
Do you have some kind of background for it? Or maybe puzzles?

Ditto what he said.
Tyion

Postby Nek'rahm » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:49 pm

I'd like to see the stone statue puzzles implimented :D

Have a certain combo move that giant mammoth in the tree. As it turns, light passes through a part of it onto the pond.

Inside the pond, a new image... and new puzzle answer. Return to all the stone statues and set em all to THAT alignment. Then, that one stone with the gecko on it rolls back to reveal a cave.

:D
Nek'rahm

Postby Grogyan » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:33 pm

andylegate wrote::BIG ROUND OF APPLAUS!!:

OUSTANDING!!

You've expertly captured a good chunk of Age and Realism there! You are to be commended......I only have one question left.....

When are you FINALLY going to give the rest of us lessons?????

Really! I think just about EVERYONE on here would appriciate even the smallest post by you here or there on how you did something. Like a journal of sorts. I don't want to copy your Age of course, but I'm NOT ashamed to say I WOULD copy your techniques without batting an eyelash!

So spill da beans.......

x2, x3
Sweet!

As Andy requested, I too would really appreciate some advanced lessons on modelling an texturing like what you have done so far?

The nicest touch is the music, where did you get that from?
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby pappou » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:30 am

You are truly a pro, D'eux (by the way, does d'eux mean, 'of himself'?).

I know you are busier than a long tailed cat in a room full of rockers, but if you get a chance, could you amplify just a bit on your 'hand painted' work?
Does that mean you work in acrylics and then paste it into Blender as texture? etc

Not only is your art work wonderful, but the reality of your sump textures – the drying clay floor in a sump area, where water really would collect and where it really has stood, after the once a year rains – all this reality combined with flawless drafting makes for a wonderful lifting of our GoW spirits.

Too bad you have to work for a living, and can't spend all your time here.
pappou
pappou

Postby D'eux » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:45 am

Ok, some answers to the questions :)

Do you have some kind of background for it? Or maybe puzzles?

Always difficult to know where to start eh... well, the Age came first, but yes there is a backstory taking shape and there will be puzzles once I've worked out how they fit into that story. I'd like to focus on writing the Age first, then revisit it from a puzzle perspective.

How big is the file size for this place so far?

Current size of all files is 8.76MB, and it loads nice and fast.

Have a certain combo move that giant mammoth in the tree. As it turns, light passes through a part of it onto the pond.
Inside the pond, a new image... and new puzzle answer. Return to all the stone statues and set em all to THAT alignment. Then, that one stone with the gecko on it rolls back to reveal a cave.

Nice ideas... I won't steal them, but I think I might just come back to those and consult you when I'm at the puzzle implementation stage. Thanks for the suggestions, appreciated.

By the way, does d'eux mean, 'of himself'?

Not that I know of. It's my D'ni spelling of 'Deux', French for 'two' (it's a long story). And I hasten to add, it's NOTHING to do with the Celine Dion album of the same title :)

Not only is your art work wonderful, but the reality of your sump textures – the drying clay floor in a sump area, where water really would collect and where it really has stood, after the once a year rains – all this reality combined with flawless drafting makes for a wonderful lifting of our GoW spirits.

I'm glad you noticed that detail. I very much take inspiration from Atrus and the way he wrote Ages - firstly understanding the fundamental structure of the basic elements of an Age. If the primary components that form an Age are physically correct (atmosphere, water, minerals etc. and the proper interaction between them) then the Age will take on a reality of it's own. Then everything else will 'fit'. This is why I have often referred to Eh'ko as being 'stable', because everything that forms it's underlying solidity and believability is now in place. And if it's lifting spirits, then I consider it a job well worth doing...

Hope that helps,

-: D'eux :-
| Ki# 4586709 | Book of D'eux |
D'eux

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:18 pm

Dude, you've got some real skills here.

I wouldn't be surprised if you told me you did this for a living.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Grogyan » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:47 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Dude, you've got some real skills here.

A quick search on google showed that among other things, they he/they does visualizations for posters etc
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby D'eux » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:48 pm

Well, I don't do *this* for a living - sadly :) Age writing is where I really get to 'play' though, as most of the stuff I do daily is pretty boring in comparison... but yes, I do have my own small creative design company. In fact, it's Age writing that has got in the way of me finishing the new website, so I'll be taking a break from writing while I complete it and get it live :(

-: D'eux :-
| Ki# 4586709 | Book of D'eux |
D'eux

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Showcase