Wavesets, can we play?

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Wavesets, can we play?

Postby Lontahv » Sat May 24, 2008 3:37 pm

Well, I'm not sure... might be a graphics issue. Cyan seems to try to fix everything up before releasing so that lots of people can viw it on their cards... It'd be great if we know what the problem was, so we could avoid making water with this issue and so everyone can see the water.

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby andylegate » Sat May 24, 2008 5:02 pm

if you take a look at my thread I started about observing the Wavesets and my messing with them, you'll see where we discussed places like Er'cana and Ahnonay after importing them into Blender.

You'll find meshes like in Ahnonay that are called "FakeSurface". The Er'cana mixers have this too. As Nadnerb explained over in that thread, those meshes are for Video cards that can't handle the waveset too well, and it's "fake water" so to speak. In Er'cana, Cyan kind of messed up (shock!) The areas around the mixer and just before you get to the mixer do NOT have these "fake" water meshes, hence why sometimes people would not see any water there with some video cards.

We don't have a way to switch back and forth like they did apparently.

GPNMIlano, can you tell us what type of Graphics Accelerator card you have?
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby D'Lanor » Sat May 24, 2008 5:12 pm

GPNMilano wrote:Took a tour of E'rcana. Here's where things get weird.

I see the ripples in the mixer, but not the rest of the water. And not in all the mixers. Only two of them. All other bodies of water in all other ages work fine the way they're supposed to.

That is exactly what I see in Er'cana too. All other Cyan ages are fine, showing true wavesets and not the fake ones.

So far NONE of the age writers has produced a waveset that I can see, except me in my own age Prad (designed according to the aforementioned K.I.S.S. principle).
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby GPNMilano » Sat May 24, 2008 5:30 pm

Actually, I think I'm gonna give a try on updating my drivers. The graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000, so i know its compatible, and after doing a search Our resident Hokias, has the same card and posted on TCT that he uses Omega drivers for it, so I'm gonna give them a try.

UPDATE:

Well, updated the driver, and still nothing. It seems I am stuck with the old way of making water.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby andylegate » Sat May 24, 2008 8:31 pm

D'Lanor, in another day or so, I'll be starting a "Nightly Build" of Zephyr Cove over at the GoMa forum. Once I post it in our thread over there, I can post you a link and you can see if mine does the same thing to you. Nobody has tested mine yet.
andylegate

Postby andylegate » Sun May 25, 2008 6:07 am

Here, D'Lanor mentioned Underwater swimming with the waveset being over head, here's a KI shot of below the water. You can see it because I accidently made my waveset twosided, and this is a spot where I need to fix my swimdetect area:

Show Spoiler

it was just below this spot here:

Show Spoiler
andylegate

Postby Lontahv » Sun May 25, 2008 5:56 pm

Waveset lookin' good! :D

And... the two-sided button is borked so, that wouldn't do the trick with wavesets, they are always two-sided.

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Paradox » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:41 pm

Just a warning to anyone making waveset surfaces that are completely flat: They will likely not export properly!

Any part of a mesh that is outside the bounding box will render with a variety of crazy issues, and probably won't render at all. If you have a flat waveset mesh, then the object centre is always outside the bounding box, and the waveset will not render as intended.

Always make sure that at least one vertex is at the same height as the object centre in order to ensure proper rendering.
Paradox

Postby mar » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:25 pm

That is good you mentioned that Paradox. I have tried to make wave sets for my shell from a flat mesh and get every time errors. :D I thought that it was my graphic card. Now I can gif it again a try with a not flat mesh.
mar

Postby D'Lanor » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:50 am

Paradox wrote:Just a warning to anyone making waveset surfaces that are completely flat: They will likely not export properly!

Strange. My waveset is flat and I daresay it is the most "proper" one around. Guaranteed to work on every system (if the system supports wavesets).

I believe Boblishman followed my example and now has a waveset that renders for all.

I did have an issue with ripples though. They would give off a strange glowing effect at one edge of the puddle.

I will try to give my waveset a bit of height and see if that makes any difference.

Edit: Yes, it did make a difference. Unflattening the waveset effectively killed it on my system. So the the behavior seems to be exactly the opposite of what you experience. :?:
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development