Wavesets, can we play?

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Wavesets, can we play?

Postby boblishman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:09 pm

yes... my waveset in Sonavio is a single plane the same as D´Lanors ... and it exports without error ... and shows on all systems (that can display wavesets) ... so, I am confused too ... :?
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Postby Trylon » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:25 pm

Wavesets were designed by an insane genius, so it's no wonder they're pretty complicated to understand. :D
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby andylegate » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:18 pm

ER.......maybe Dox meant to make sure that the center of the mesh is at the water height, above the mesh? I seem to remember accidently having my waveset center at the same height as the waveset, instead of the water height, and I did get an error trying to export.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Lontahv » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:13 pm

Let me try to clarify.

The flat waveset is a incorrect waveset. If you make your waveset flat, it's wrong and will not look right and will be buggy and break things. It'll flicker, it'll disappear; it's a incorrect use (just like trying to start your computer with it no plugged in). So, if you're going to use wavesets, I suggest you use them correctly rather than incorrectly--just because something crazy works once, doesn't mean it works.

Cyan made wavesets to be flattened to the bottom of the sea, that's the way it's done.

*me stops ranting*

I don't mean to get down on you flat-wavesetters... really, I just hate to see buggy ages that could be prevented. :)

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby D'Lanor » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:58 pm

Repeat: My waveset is NOT buggy. It works better than so called correct wavesets. What works works. What doesn't work is buggy.

This is really starting to piss me off.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Paradox » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:14 pm

I didn't say that flat wavesets were wrong, I said that there might be issues with the object centre being outside the computed bounding box, which could cause the waveset to render erratically.
Paradox

Postby andylegate » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:53 pm

I didn't say that flat wavesets were wrong, I said that there might be issues with the object centre being outside the computed bounding box, which could cause the waveset to render erratically.

Ah HA! That actually might be my problem in Zephyr that I have once in a while....the flickering....as my wave set is made like Ahnonay's......(and mine flickers, where as D'Lanor's and Boblishmans don't, so I'd have to say that their way works better than the other way right now...hehehe).

But I'll have to look at the bounding box for the waveset, and then at the water height and see if I actually have it outside where I need it. THAT would explain a LOT of problems I've been having.
andylegate

Postby Lontahv » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:11 pm

Let's fix this problem by making a little test age that uses both kinds. :)

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv

Postby andylegate » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm

Wait...now I"m confused.....

The top of the bounding box of my waveset IS the height of the water.......you're saying that the center of my waveset must be within the bounding box???
andylegate

Postby Lontahv » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:15 pm

I think the trick is to have the geometry a little _above_ the waterline, just not too much. And about the test age, I think I'll do that later... maybe. :)

~Lontahv
Lontahv

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development