RAD2 shell 129

Moderator: Marcello

Re: RAD2 shell 129

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:25 am

Looking good, Marcello!

It would be cool if we could climb that rock wall... :)
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Marcello » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:31 am

Oh... uhm... well... this is not something I had planned lol.... who knows in version 2.0. I had planned a few things that won't make it in this version anyway.
Marcello

Postby Marcello » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:51 pm

With wavesets working I finally managed to get base texturing and vertex painting done today. I realised today that I spend way to much time on problems and too little on modelling. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to really finish my shell. Hopefully a glimpse of what it will be will be enough for the RADcontest ;)

There are a couple of things I want to add before sending it in on Monday:
- benches
- some plants in pots and some hanging from the walls
- A second waterfall on the big rock
- ripples where the waterfalls hit the water
- at least on of the spray fountains I envision coming from the flat fountain on the top level

Not all the details I had planned and still enough to get me worried :lol:

The flat fountain is meant to be a place to sit around while it performs a show. In the end with different colored water or with different lights. I thought about ways of animating fountains and think I can make it work. Since I want them to be switchable (on off and someday different shows) I will need some python help along the way. But... no way I will have this fountain fully functional by Monday.

And then I have some problems with the sprays on my smaller waterfalls. They consist of a transparant water texture and two overlapping meshes with a spray texture. All transparant. I use z-index to get them to show and played with z-trans. But still I either shut one of them down or they have black halo's at certain places or when looked at from a certain angle. Hard stuff to tackle. Hope to have this fixed by Monday too. Testing UrU is what really takes a lot of time. Trying stuff is fun, but having to wait while UrU start up again, link to Pahts, link to the hun, link to my district, run to my shell, etc. is a drag.

Oh yeah... another strange thing. I can jump into the water from any point. But if I jump in from the top level... I fall to the bottom, ending up walking on the basin floor. Lol.... Which makes sense because the footstep sound region encompasses my swim region anyway and I have not yet been able to get a swimming sound ;) Got that one on my list too :lol:

So.... a lot to do and little time. Tomorrow I will be with friends all day and won't be able to do a thing. So I only have Sunday left!! Ooooops!!! ;) ;)

We'll see! I learned a lot by working on this shell already. To bad I haven't been able to study interactivity with AlcScript and Python yet. Modelling and texturing in it self have been challenging enough to get it to look as pretty as possible. I'm pretty happy sofar.

A preview:

Preview3.jpg
Preview3.jpg (324.23 KiB) Viewed 5827 times
Marcello

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:40 pm

Amazing, Marcello! The wavesets really add to the realism. And the textures are fantastic.

It's hard to tell from the photos, but do the waterfalls have an animated texture?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Grogyan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:25 pm

I would have liked to have seen these pics after the contest as to not spoil the surprise.

So Marcello, do you think the 3 week deadline is a good one if I might as?

Can't wait to see the rest of the shells too, this looks awesome
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby Nadnerb » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:52 pm

Looks awesome! Might I suggest that you reduce the envradius on your waveset? It might make the waterfall reflections line up better. ;)
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Marcello » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:24 pm

Wow, thnx for the compliments guys. Working on it for three weeks kinda makes me not see how I'm doing. Sorry for spoiling the fun though Grogyan. The main reason I posted them is that personally I would like to see more images of ages in progress. So other writers can get inspired and Cyan and others excited. Even Cyan could have done that more during MO:UL. We have a lot of development journals and posts in Builders, but not many people post work in progress pics. I do realize I'm giving away a lot... competitionwise though :)

Yes... the waterfalls are animated. At the moment only a single layer. There are two extra meshes one low and one high that have a spray texture to simulate water drops spreading from the waterfall. Those are giving me the alpha headache :lol:

Are three weeks enough? I think they should be. Although it's short for one person to get music done too and have complex interaction. Maybe if we have more standard scripts it would be easier.Thing is the shell is a pretty big place to fill effectively and not the easiest. Starting an age from scratch one could relate the available time to the size of the age. Now I hope I can get away with not to many details to give my shell a more intimate feeling.
Besides... the people around us writers would probably get annoyed if we would be spending even more time behind the pc ;) ;) Three week does keep me sharp.

I will have a look at the envradius. I understand what you mean. All textures are made with Filterforge, entirely made by hand in Photoshop or a combination of the two. I have not yet used photographic textures in my shell. I probably will when I add foliage.

P.s. Grogyan I won't post any more pictures until Monday... I promise ;)
Marcello

Postby Marcello » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:10 am

Sigh... spend most of the day working on a website that had to be finished. Had promised this to someone. Bad timing :(

I will start working on my shell again in an hour or so. I managed to add some small stuff today. Including some papyrus plants. I'm not that happy with their looks, but there is not much time left to redo them. Maybe next week, after the contest is over.

I will have to prioritize in the upcoming hours. It's gonna be a long night!!!
Marcello

Postby Marcello » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:37 pm

Ok, that's it... I just send in my shell. Hopefully it will work when Aloys and Robert try it.

It's not done by a long shot. Some essential details like benches and the main flat foutain on the top floor are still not done. I did manage to get some new stuff in today and yesterday. Yesterday I made a Roman style metal fence to make stuff saver. I had to redo them today because I wasn't happy with it. Yesterday I thought I only had yesterday evening left so I rushed things. Luckily I still had some time today.

So I will keep on working on this shell until it is finished. There are still problems to solve and things to figure out. I certainly am learning a lot about modelling and all the new features during this contest. It's more a learning pressurecooker then it is an actual contest. If you are nog happy with the speed at which you are mastering the art of writing, then you should participate in the next RAD contest. You'll be amazed!

No waiting to hear from the big boys if my age works :)
Marcello

Postby Marcello » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:11 pm

SInce sending in my shell on Monday I have continued solving little instability stuff. Thanx to a discussion here I was able to solve my disappearing water problem. I also happened to fall through the swimregion every now and then. Turned out I had made a copy of the region at some point and didn't delete one of them. Having Alcscript target two region makes them instable. Problem solved.

The main problem I have left is that of alpha and alpha and wavesets. Hopefully that will be fixed in the upcoming days. If not I will continue modelling benches and start my fountain animation project anyway. I still hope to fix everything before continuing.
Marcello

PreviousNext

Return to Marcello's Journal