City shell/page numbering scheme

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:01 pm

The city is really shaping up. I'm sure many of us are eager to add our particular touches to the whole by creating something for one of the shells. But before we can begin assigning shells to age builders, we need to find a way to identify the shells.

Ideally, they would be linked to the page number in which the shell's geometry would be placed. [See this topic for a discussion on supporting multiple developers per age.] That means the empty shells should be sequentially numbered, like the pages in the age.

I propose the following numbering scheme - see the diagram below, which I based on Aloys' terrific city diagram:

EDIT: Image removed 5/2/06. It was obsolete; replaced by ShellsPlan01.gif

The numbers may seem random at first, but it actually follows a recursive pattern. I start from the center of the triangle and work my way outwards. Here's a simple diagram explaining what I mean:

EDIT: Image removed 5/2/06 - obsolete.

I applied this numbering scheme to the empty shells in Aloys' diagram until they were all filled. Some notes:

- Page 0 is reserved for the city streets themselves. (Aloys)
- Page 1 / Shell 1 is reserved for the hub (J'anim Paedet)

These numbers will also be used in the Prin Pahts / Mini Nexus.

Suggestions/comments? Once we hash this out, we can then start a sign-up topic for the empty shells.

Note to Aloys: I noticed that shells 2 - 7 are unreachable. Is that intentional?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby The Enlightened » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 am

It would be wise to shart in the center and work our way out. This would help us maintain a certine level of density, as well as orderly expansion.
The Enlightened

Postby Aloys » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:17 pm

Note to Aloys: I noticed that shells 2 - 7 are unreachable. Is that intentional?

Yes and no, as long as the central hub isn't complete I can't know what the center of the city will actually look like. So nothing in that area on my plan is final. (This is why I haven't put numbes yet on the central district in my plan above.)

Your system makes sense considering we will expand the city from the center outward.
I had something about this I was supposed to post last week, but then the forum was hacked and I forgot to. :unsure:
I worked on a system with a number of similarities but I assumed we where going to use districts to cut up the city as was suggested here (big assumption on my part here :unsure: ).

Seeing how each district (beside the central one) has only one street leading to it from the central district I start numbering from that 'entrance' and then turn clockwise around the central courtyard until the 40 shells of the districts are numbered.
This way we could number the shells (and the pages) with a district number (1 for white, 2 for red, 3 for green, and 4 for blue) and the shell number itself. For example the shell 38 in the blue district would be shell # 438.
(Again, I haven't worked on the central shells because I don't know how much space the hub will take)

IMHO this makes for a simple way of finding an address on a plan. If someone tells you "I've built something cool in shell #324" it's easy to check district 3 and turn until you find the 24th shell.

One advantage of your numbering system over mine is that it gives the actual number of pages/shells, while with mine we could have the last shell named #440 but only actually have 157 shells. :P
Aloys

Postby J'anim Paedet » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:32 pm

[quote="Aloys"]

Yes and no, as long as the central hub isn't complete I can't know what the center of the city will actually look like. So nothing in that area on my plan is final. (This is why I haven't put numbes yet on the central district in my plan above.)

If you want, I can send you a .blend file of the hub structure as far as I have been able to construct it (based off of TE's concept art). I'm completely done with the structures at this point (still trying out different textures, though...) that are visible in the sketches, but I'd like to get an idea of the scale of the space you allocated for the hub, so that I can design accordingly. Perhaps you could send that section of the city landscape for me to work with?
J'anim Paedet

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:41 am

[quote="Aloys"]Seeing how each district (beside the central one) has only one street leading to it from the central district I start numbering from that 'entrance' and then turn clockwise around the central courtyard until the 40 shells of the districts are numbered.

This way we could number the shells (and the pages) with a district number (1 for white, 2 for red,  3 for green, and 4 for blue) and the shell number itself. For example the shell 38 in the blue district would be shell # 438.

I get it - that is very elegant.

One advantage of your numbering system over mine is that it gives the actual number of pages/shells, while with mine we could have the last shell named #440 but only actually have 157 shells.

One assumption I made is that the page numbers have to be sequential - that you cannot skip numbers. But, I might be wrong. Would anyone like to do an experiment to prove/disprove this? I would like to use your method, Aloys - I just hope technically there are no barriers to it.

And do you want the hub and the streets to be in the same page, or in two separate pages? The benefit of having them in different pages is that the blend file you circulate will only have the streets, thereby lowering the polygon count that each of the shell/page artists have to deal with. The downside is that your numbering system would have to start with 2, since 1 would be taken up by the hub.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Tahgtahv » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:42 am

Pages can be numbered whatever you want. See city.age for example. Ages can have a 0 page (many do).
Proud member of the Guild of Inkmakers
Tahgtahv

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:26 am

[quote="Tahgtahv"] Pages can be numbered whatever you want. See city.age for example. Ages can have a 0 page (many do).

Thanks for checking that out, Tahgtahv! I knew that the ages can have a page 0 - that's what I was assigning to the city streets itself.

So, I think the next step is that aloys overlays J'anim's city hub to see which shells are covered (if any). Let us know how that goes.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:31 am

Beside the page numbers we need a naming convention we agree on so that no two objects have the same name.
Is the one I suggested above ok? IE: shells, are numbered with a district number (from 1 to 4 right now) and then a shell number.

(I have nearly 800 objects right now in the whole age and I'd hate to have to rename them all at some point. :unsure: )
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:09 am

That's a good point, Aloys! Didn't think of that. So, for example an object named "DniSpitoon" that is located in shell 15 of district 1 would be named "115DniSpitoon"? I think that's fine.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:22 pm

Yes that's the idea.
The problem as said is that there are tons of objects and naming that is quite a long process.
Ok i'll do that then; so the shells will be available tomorrow.
Aloys

Next

Return to Ahra Pahts